Raspberry Hot Chocolate Cupcakes

Guess what is a staple in my diet.  No…not cupcakes.  But chocolate milk.  I have one just about everyday.  Well, now that we are approaching the winter months, I think I will be making the transition to the warmer alternative. Be sure to check out my latest version of the chocolate raspberry cupcakes.

Chocolate Cake:
¼ cup raspberries, strained
1 cup powdered sugar
Raspberry Whipped Cream:
1 pint whipped cream
2-3 teaspoons raspberry gelatin
1 cup powdered sugar
1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners (yields 34).
2.    In a large bowl, gently combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon.
3.    Stir in cake mix (sift in for easy mixing).
4.    Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake for 17-20 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
5.    Raspberry Marshmallow Filling: Combine all ingredients.
6.   Raspberry Whipped Cream:  Beat whipped cream until stiff peaks form.  Stir in gelatin and powdered sugar until desired taste is reached.
7.    When cupcakes are cooled, cut a cone shaped hole out of the tops and fill with marshmallow filling.
8.   Just before serving pipe whipped cream on top and top with mini marshmallows and sprinkles.

57 thoughts on “Raspberry Hot Chocolate Cupcakes

JaNae says:

These look beautiful and delicious! I can't wait to try them. I love raspberry and chocolate paired together. :) I love your blog.

Jess Wakasugi {Life's Simple Measures} says:

These sound wonderful, perfect the winter weather I'll soon be experiencing!

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} says:

Pretty cupcakes! I think the combination of berries and chocolate is wonderful and I love that you used buttermilk in the cupcake batter. It adds such a great flavor.

Crafty Things says:

Do you think you would get the same results using cherry?

Lizzy Mae says:

Yes, you can also check out my Cherry Chocolate Cake recipe to infuse the cake with cherries as well.

Emily says:

Looks like a little bit of heaven to me!!!

Torviewtoronto says:

lovely cupcakes

TK says:

My daughters and I love making your cupcakes. But I'm curious if you use a normal sized cupcake pan, or if you have one a little bigger? And which is your most used frosting tip?

Lizzy Mae says:

I use just the standard size pan, and my favorite piping tip in the 1M. Just google it and see what it looks like, then when you go to a store to get one, just pick any tip that looks similar! It won't matter the brand. Good luck!

Stephanie says:

Lizzy, I love your site! Great recipes! I can't wait to try all of them… is there a specific brand of cake mix you use? Thanks!

Lizzy Mae says:

Stephanie- most people rave about Duncan Hines cake mixes, but I seem to have the best results with Pillsbury. Good luck!

Shabs says:

Oooh I love the frosting , it really looks divine .

Phyllis Kirigin says:

Wow! What a fantastic blog I just discovered through the Foodie Blogroll. Wonderful recipes and gorgeous photos!!!

Anna says:

I made these last night and they went horribly wrong. The filling was really runny. I realise now that maybe I should have added the strained raspberries instead of the juice, is that right? The raspberry whipped cream didn't seem right either. I added jello for the raspberry gelatin, was there another product you used?

Lizzy Mae says:

Anna, strain the raspberries to get the seeds out. Then from that, you should get a sort of raspberry pulp to use for the filling. As for thr whipped.cream, jist whip the cream like normal with some powdered sugar. Then add some jello gelatin to flavor and color.

Julia Lynn says:

So I'm a huge from scratch baker because I have a personal issue with mixes (something to do with the aftertaste they leave in my mouth.) Do you have a recipe for the Devil's food that is not from a box? Just curious.

Ive noticed in alot of your recipes that when you fill a cupcake do you always cut the center out. Do you ever just use a piping bag and insert the tip right into the cupcake to fill it without cutting a hole? Or have you found that cutting a hole works best?

Lizzy Mae says:

It just depends. If I am using something that is supposed to soak into the cake, I just push a piping tip in and squeeze. But often times I just find it easier to cut out an area for the filling, You can get a cupcake corer for a few bucks to save time.

Amee Jo says:

These look great. I have made 2 of your cupcake recipes and they were amazing! Thanks!

Rachel says:

These look amazing! I’m looking forward to making them next Wednesday for my boss’s 60th birthday.

All of your recipes that I’ve tried have been incredible and I’m sure this one will be no different.

Just to clarify, for the whipped topping am I going to use a pint of heavy whipping cream and beat it until stiff peaks form? Or am I buying a container of whipped cream and then beating it?

Linda says:

They look so good. Im gona try them but iam wondering where can i find the mini marshmellows. I can not seem to find them around here where i live.
    Thanks Linda

vipulla says:

HI can i know what is marshmellow cream n how to make it

Radhi says:

Do you think it would taste the same with a strawberry flavor instead of raspberry?
    Also how many cupcakes does this recipe yield??

Melanie says:

I’m allergic to eggs (bummer, no awesome cupcakes), but luckily, my friend’s mom introduced me to an awesome chocolate no-egg recipe! Do you think that that’ll be a swell substitution? Let me know! :)

Jill says:

How many cupcakes does this recipe make? thanks!

Erin says:

I recently got addicted to baking cupcakes and this is by far my favorite one! I’m using them for the speech I have to give on Thursday and I’m sure they’ll be a hit! Thanks so much for your awesome ideas! :)

Bethany says:

Do I have to use Devil’s Food or can I use chocolate?

Ann says:

I made these cupcakes for my daughters b-day. They were fantastic, and my guests are still talking about them! Thanks for the great recipe

Sarah says:

Can I use frozen raspberries? Fresh ones are extremely expensive because they are out of season. Also, I saw in your comment above to use heavy whipping cream. Will this frosting be too stiff to frost a cake? I’m making cake instead of cupcakes because its easier to transport. One last question, would a chocolate ganache be good on top of this? I’ve never made one so I don’t know what it tastes like!

Ann says:

I used frozen raspberries when I made the filling, it was kind of runny, but it soaked into the cake and tasted great. Just make sure you un-thaw and drain them first. The frosting is to die for, it really is just a raspberry flavored whip cream.

Yes you can use frozen, but you may need to use less less. I have a more recent recipe for these, check that out as well. And no, the frosting would be fine for a cake

Niki says:

I just made these cupcakes! So delicious. An oopsie discovery – I accidentally used Red Velvet instead of Devils Food Cake. At first I was a bit worried when i realized my mistake, but I carried on anyway. I added some chocolate chips in the batter because I was disappointed when I realized I wasn’t getting the chocolate raspberry mixture I was expecting. Then I added cocoa to the icing mix. These turned out amazing!
    I especially love to the whipped cream icing, it adds a nice light touch to the richness of the cupcake. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

I made these cupcakes tonight because they sounded so good but my frosting didn’t turn out. I think it’s because I don’t have an electric hand mixer. I have myself or a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. So I just used a canned frosting and added the raspberry gelatin to it. Turned out fine. Thank you for posting this wonderful recipe.

yasss says:

Hi Lizzy, Recipe sounds divine! Can wait to try! Just wanted to know what (or if i) can use as a substitute for marshmallow cream and rasperry gelatin?

You can simple toast a few marshmallows in the oven on broil (2-3 minutes) and stuff them inside. Or mix 4 oz cream cheese, 1/2 C. powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp. raspberry puree.

Lisa Darling says:

Does this frosting stiffen up at all. I am going to make a cupcake bouquet and am afraid this frosting might be too delicate and slide off the cupcakes when they are put into place. Looks like a great recipe though.

Just add more powdered sugar to stiffen it because it takes a really stiff frosting to make bouquets. I would suggest maybe using my recipe for my mini raspberry lemonade cupcakes. It has incredibly color and flavor because it uses freeze dried berries

Ingallina says:

Hi,
    Too good and delicious, i tried this and family member all loved it. Thanks for sharing.

Jill says:

Excited to try these. I’m making cupcakes for an upcoming event. Do they freeze well? Can I frost and then freeze them? Thanks

Rachael says:

Hi! I REALLY want to try to make these cupcakes because I LOVE fluff and I love raspberries. I am a vegetarian though and was wondering if you have a substitute for the gelatin in the frosting?
    Great pictures!!! I found this on pinterest and they look oh so yummy!!!
    thanks!

brooke says:

Can I double this recipe?