I did a promo photo shoot a few weeks ago and I needed some pink cupcakes. So I whipped these cuties up for props. But when I posted a sneak peek photo on my facebook page, people wanted the recipe. So here it is. It’s pretty simple and the raspberry on top really makes it something special. It’s PERFECT for summer and the buttercream packs a punch of berry flavor!
Double Berry Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Double Berry Buttercream
- 2 tablespoons freeze dried strawberries pulverized in the food processor
- 2 tablespoons freeze dried raspberries pulverized in the food processor
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- milk if needed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, sift cake mix to remove lumps.
3. In a separate bowl, use a whisk to combine egg whites, oil, buttermilk, sour cream, mayonnaise and vanilla extract.
4. Add cake mix and stir well.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Buttercream: When working with freeze dried things, you need to remember to work fast. They start to absorb the moisture in the air as soon as the package it opened. Pulverize your berries in the food processor and then use a sifter to remove the raspberry seeds. The strawberry seeds are pretty fine to use because they aren't as tough.
7. Beat butter for 2 minutes, then add your freeze dried berry "powders." Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If it becomes too thick, add 1 tablespoon of milk and continue to beat.
8. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with a fresh raspberry.