Raspberry Neapolitan Cupcakes

I had been wanting to make these cupcakes for a while, but I knew I would need an event to make them for because it makes 48.  So when my friend asked me if I would donate cupcakes to a charity event, I was more than happy to say yes.  I never ate one, but she says they were a big hit and people were practically fighting over them.
Chocolate Cake:
¾ cup buttermilk
¾ cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
Raspberry Buttercream:
1 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese
¼ cup raspberry puree, strained
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with cupcake liners (yields 48).
2.    Chocolate Cake: In a large bowl combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon.  (Do not over mix.) Sift in cake mix to remove the lumps and stir until combined.  Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full and shake pan to level the batter.

3.    Vanilla Cake: In a large bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla.  (Do not over mix.) Sift in cake mix to remove lumps and stir until combined.  Scoop vanilla batter on top of the chocolate batter to fill the liners 2/3 full.  (1/3 chocolate & 1/3 vanilla.)

4.    Shake the pan to level the vanilla, or leave it uneven if you want some    of the chocolate showing through the top of the cake.
5.    Bake for 17-21 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6.   Buttercream: Beat butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.  Add raspberry puree (I microwave frozen berries, then push them through       a strainer to remove the seeds).  Add powdered sugar a little bit at a    time until you reach your desired consistency.
7.    Pipe onto cooled cupcake and top with sprinkles or sanding sugar.

27 thoughts on “Raspberry Neapolitan Cupcakes

Susan says:

Lizzy, what pretty little cupcakes! Perfect for charity events, wedding/baby showers or for hosting a girls night out! Can't wait to try them.

is there any way to make less? like half the recipe or something

SJ says:

These look great! I love cupcakes and cakes made from the box. I've tried all kinds of recipes from scratch and still like the boxed cake mix. Great job!

The Colvins says:

I like how you keep your recipes simple by using a box cake mix. But, whenever I am in the baking isle looking at the different cake mixes I have a hard time choosing a brand. Is there a brand that you prefer for your recipes?

mividaenundulce says:

The cupcakes look gorgeous. This is a great work. Thanks for sharing.

Lizzy Mae says:

To half the recipe, you can make the cakes from scratch and half any basic recipe. Colvins, most people swear by Duncan Hines, but personally, I love Pillsbury. Good luck everyone!

thanks for the help your cupcakes are amazing :D

RMW says:

Is there a certain tip you use to get your icing to look so great on these cupcakes??? I want mine to look like this! :)

Lizzy Mae says:

Tip #809!

Amanda says:

Hey if I make the frosting for this cupcake a day of head a time, would it get to hard in the fridge.

Thanks,
    Amanda

Maggie says:

I made these cupcakes for my birthday and they were a big hit! Instead of raspberry buttercream, I used your recipe for strawberry buttercream so they really tasted like Neapolitan ice cream. I got tons of compliments, and someone even described them as “killer”. Thanks, Lizzy! Love the site and can’t wait to try so many of your other recipes!

[...] Ron, and Hermione. It’s like every magical fantasy needs three magical ingredients. These Raspberry Neapolitan Cupcakes from Your Cup of Cake combine devil’s food chocolate cake, vanilla cake, and raspberry [...]

Brandi says:

When you say butter in the recipe. Real butter? Salted/Unsalted? Will margarine worke?

[...] Raspberry Neapolitan Cupcakes from Your Cup Of Cake [...]

Shane Birkey says:

Does the amount of frosting you have listed here really frost all 48 cupcakes?

Leah says:

Would Yellow Cake mix work? I am trying to use what I have on hand but not sure how it would look. It’s for a birthday party for a five year old. We are doing Hello Kitty Cupcakes.

Kimberly says:

These were amazing! A big hit :-) Thanks!

stAcey says:

I made your raspberry frosting and it was so runny…what did I do wrong?

Common Buttercream problems are… 1:Make sure you use REAL butter 2: Make sure you do not melt the butter or that the butter has never been melted (it changes it chemically and can’t be reversed) 3: Add more powdered sugar. Depending on where you live and the heat, the amount you add can’t change drastically. At home in Oregon I may only add 2 1/2 cups but in the hot Utah summers I can add 6 cups.

Jeanette says:

Do you think it’s ok to mix these cake batters by hand rather than with an electric mixer?

Samantha says:

Would this work with the strawberry buttercream from the lemon and chocolate Neapolitan recipe? Love your recipes!!