Carrot Cheesecake Cupcakes

I live in a college apartment.  Which does not have a good oven, I am without a food processor (so I have to hand grate all my carrots) and the lighting situation for photos does not always work out.  The bright sunlight kept creeping up on me!  I had to get up every 30 seconds and move the table!

Carrot Cakes:

¾ cup canola oil
½ cup applesauce
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons cinnamon
8 oz crushed pineapple
3 cups grated carrot (4-5 carrots)
Cheesecake Buttercream:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
¼ cup butter, softened
3 teaspoons instant pudding mix, cheesecake flavor
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 -4 ½ cups powdered sugar
1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.  Yields 35 cupcakes.
2.    In a large bowl, gently combine eggs, oil, applesauce, sugar and brown sugar.  Stir in vanilla extract.
3.    In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
4.    Add half of the dry (flour) ingredients to the oil mixture.  Mix until combined.
5.    Try to remove most of the juice from the pineapple, then add and stir.
6.   Add the remaining half of the dry ingredients.
7.    Stir in grated carrots and fill cupcake liners ¾ full.
8.   Bake for 15-18 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
9.   Buttercream:  Beat cream cheese and butter for 4 minutes on medium high.  Scrape bowl every minute.  Add pudding mix and vanilla.  Let beat again.  Slowly add powdered sugar until it reaches your desired consistency.
10.Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles!

15 thoughts on “Carrot Cheesecake Cupcakes

How do you get such nice pipeable cream cheese frosting??? Mine always spreads and I don't want to use shortening. Any suggestions?

Katie says:

the trick is to warm melt your cream cheese, leave it chilled. It will take more will power to blend it until smooth but it will keep your frosting thick.

• Blanca says:

I am a little confused by what you are saying here. Are you saying to keep the cream cheese cold or its better to have the cream cheese at room temperature.

• I use room temperature cream cheese, To get it thicker add more powdered sugar. if you do the cold way like Katie says…yes it will be thicker… until it reaches room temperature and then it will melt on you.

Julia says:

Even with the sunlight shifting, your pictures turned out gorgeous!

Always GREAT JOB!!!! I will make this recipe tonight with another 3 from your collection!! Just wondering what pipping tip you use on these babies?? ….Fatima

Lizzy Mae says:

The 1M tip from Wilton is my go to tip!

WOW!!!! ok, I over due it again and finish baking 12 dozens this past week…LOVE your recipes…keep them comming!! I am DYING and waiting for your RED VELVET recipe???!!!! Happy NEW YEAR !!!!!!!! ….Fatima

Abby says:

Just made these cupcakes and frosting this AM. OH SO GOOD! The cake is incredibly moist and the frosting turned out great! I think this may be my new go-to for cream cheese frosting! The consistency is perfect for piping – all the other times I have tried a cream cheese frosting, it ends up runny. The frosting is not too sweet and not too overwhelmingly cream cheesy – the only change I made was I didn’t have cream cheese instant pudding on hand, so I used vanilla.

Kristen says:

Hi Lizzy I’m new to your site..I really want to try this recipe. Can I ask what other pudding mixes or non-pudding mixes I can substitute for the frosting? We rarely have pudding mixes available in our place. Thanks!!

Allie says:

These recipes look amazing, I’m going to be making mass amounts of cupcakes for a work banquet. Just wondering, for these recipes, how many cupcakes do your scratch recipes make?

Jen says:

Can you substitute coconut oil for the canola oil?