Thin Mint Puppy Chow

Thin Mint Puppy Chow

I was a girl scout.

I did the campfires, the badges, the pledges, you name it.  But I did not look nearly as cute in my little Brownie vest as my neighbor Francesca or Laura up the street.  They both had the sleek hair with matching bows perfectly placed on top.  And me?  Well I had the frizziest hair of the troop, not to mention I looked like I ate more Thin Mints than I sold.

Here’s to those little green boxes of heaven.  [end-story]

Thin Mint Puppy Chow

Thin Mint Puppy Chow

Chocolate Thin Mint:
5 cups Rice Chex cereal
1 1/2 C. semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
12 Thin Mint cookies, finely crushed
1/4 C. powdered sugar
Green Pieces:
5 C. Rice Chex cereal
1 1/2 C. Minty (green) Melts from WIlton OR white chocolate chips (or melts) (or you can use the green melts)
green food dye to get them green, optional (GEL only, not the liquid)
3/4 C. powdered sugar
Extra Thin Mints roughly chopped
NOTE: You can only do the chocolate pieces and it will still be awesome, maybe through in some mint M&M's to get the green color!

1. Chocolate Thin Mint pieces: Place cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a small microwave proof bowl, melt chocolate and stir until smooth.
3. Pour the melted chocolate over cereal and gently stir until coated.
4. Add finely crushed cookies and stir again.
5. Add powdered sugar and stir (you can also put the cereal in a plastic bag, put the sugar in and shake, shake, shake!.)
6. Dump out onto a cookie sheet to let cool.
7. Green Pieces: Place cereal in a lagre bowl and set aside.
8. Melt green Melts/white chocolate, stir until smooth and stir in as much green dye as desired.
9. Pour over cereal and stir until coated.
10. Add powdered sugar and stir.
11. Dump onto a cookie sheet and let cool.
12. Mix the two colors together and add extra Thin Mints for decoration!

Thin Mint Puppy Chow Recipe

52 thoughts on “Thin Mint Puppy Chow

Yum, yum, yum! I LOVE thin mints and puppy chow! Perfect combo!

Denise says:

This looks delish-but PLEASE change the name! Too many ignorant dog owners out there who might think this is actually okay for dogs to eat-and you know the chocolate will kill dogs.

• Jess says:

You are kidding, right???

• Allison says:

Omg!! Are you for real?!?!?! Seriously, people need to get past the second grade education level and man up!!!!!!

• sarah says:

I saw these and a few others on pinterest and i, too, thought these were for dogs as at a quick glance they do look like kibbles. My first reaction was to say DO NOT GIVE YOUR PETS CHOCOLATE OF ANY KIND. I guess ignorance runs on both sides of the fence.

• April says:

Seriously!!!! First off it is time for people to grow up and quit expecting everyone to dumb things down for ignorant people and second please read this scientific report on dogs and theobromine the substance in chocolate that could possible under extreme instances cause illness or death in canines. http://io9.com/5905170/could-eating-chocolate-really-kill-your-dog

Sara says:

Lizzy! I love all of your variations on puppy chow, this one looks awesome! :)

Kristen says:

Love the color, looks delicious!

Liz says:

Lizzy, I’ve never had Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies before but I love chocolate mint so I really want to try making it soon. I was at the grocery store last night and a box of Rice Chex was $5.49 so I’m waiting for it to go on sale! I’m cheap! :)

Emma says:

yum! my hubby loves thin mints so i’m sure he will love the puppy chow. can’t wait to try it…i just need the thin mints i ordered!

This looks so delicious! I want some right now!

carrie says:

I believe Aldi carries a version of Rice Chex… cheaper than the “real” thing. I’ll be making this, but perhaps I’ll cut back on the crushed Thin Mints. Not because I think there are too many, but because it’s almost sacrilege to crush and chop them! Ha ha.

Tara says:

I made this and it is awesome!! Only problem is when I tried to add the mint extract to the white chocolate it all hardened up… I’ve had this before with melting chocolate or almond bark and know not to add liquid because of it. How did you get that to work?

I used regular melting chocolate and it did not harden up when I added the extract

• Caret says:

I am totally missing any mention of mint extract in the ingredients list?

• It was there, but some people has issues with it breaking up their chocolate. The thin mints make it minty enough!

• Julie says:

This is such a great recipe! I’ve made it a couple of times for family and friends and it’s always a hit! One thing I’ve done to incorporate more mint is to use green mint chips (found next to the regular chocolate chips…in a green bag!) instead of white chocolate and green food coloring as you’ve used. Thanks for all the fun and creative recipes! You’re a delightful catch for any deserving BYU bachelor! :)

carrian says:

LOVING THIS!! Good heavens, why the heck wasn’t this at the studio?!

YES!! I’ll never make regular puppy chow again!

Thin Mint are my favorite girl scout cookies! I was a brownie too but not nearly as cute as the brownies I see selling cookies these days!! I have seen thin mint puppy chow before but yours stands out so much with the green and brown puppy chow! So cute and tasty I am sure!

Michelle says:

Turned out great even without the mint extract. Not sure it is even necessary anyway. Plenty minty! Everyone will love it at our party tonight. They better – after all that trouble and expense. :)

Jill P. says:

Instead of adding the extract to my chocolate, I used mint chocolate chips. I’m not a fan of white chocolate, so I only used half the recipe amount so green pieces aren’t as green as yours but we all still love it, it’s hard to stop eating once you start! Thanks for sharing, I linked your recipe on my website.

Sherrie says:

Can’t wait to make for my Son-in-Law who is a big GS Thin Mint fan. Appreciate your sharing.

Ann says:

Hi there! This sounds like a delicious recipe. I found it through a pin on pinterest, and I just wanted to let you know that I find the name really problematic, because dogs are deathly allergic to chocolate! I am not trying to imply that your readers are morons, but the nature of the worldwide web is that many folks are reading and looking at pictures, but not processing information beyond the surface level. Maybe you should add a disclaimer, or rename your treat!

Beth says:

Seriously people…know what you are talking about with dogs and chocolate before you post things like this…almost crazier than someone thinking this is dog food!

Elizabeth says:

you may be an idiot when…..
      1. You think it’s THIS person that came up with the name.
      2. You think dogs have a chocolate allergy. There is no such thing as a universal allergy. It just does not happen.
      3. You are ignorant enough to think that people care what you think.

Talesa says:

to ANN:
    The reason it is named puppy chow is because it looks like the dog food. And when they first started making this it was served in new unused dog dishes as a gag. What is a party without having some fun. Also if there are so called morons out there that would give there dog this then they really shouldn’t have pets. Sorry if I am being snappy. I hope everyone has a great day and loves this stuff as much as my family does. It is awesome.

Karen Sawyer says:

If you don’t have Thin Mints, Keebler Grasshoppers are the same cookie!

Kelly says:

If you use peppermint oil instead of extract you will not have issues with your chocolate hardening. The water in the extract is what causes that reaction, the oil does not contain any water. It only takes a few drops, as the oil is VERY strong.

Joanna says:

This looks awesome! I don’t eat regular puppy chow because I can’t stand peanut butter. I love the alternatives and will definitely be trying them!

ScarPaige says:

I made this with a few tweaks. I used butter and peanut butter melted in the two separate bowls of white chocolate and semi sweet chips like nirmal puppy chow. After that melted, I mixed in some peppermint extract drops and immediately poured it over the cereal. After I powder sugared both batches I set them to cool. I cut andes mints up and the grasshopper mint cookies by Keebler into sections, and bought a bag of mint m&ms and when the puppy chow was cool I mixed them all together. It has a great mint flavor and a variety of textures! Everyone loved it! :)

Amy says:

This recipe is impossible. There is no such thing as ‘extra Thin Mints.’

Amber says:

So, I just tried this recipe. When I added the food coloring it made the consistency of the white chocolate very thick and I wasn’t able to mix it with the cereal. Any suggestions?

Pachi says:

This was very yummy however, it turned out looking nothing like the above picture. Once I added the powdered sugar the entire mixture was white. Why did yours turn out so much prettier than mine?

Pachi says:

Okay, thanks for the suggestions!

Zoe says:

Do you know of a British alternative to rice chex? This is a fab idea and can’t wait to start making some!

Jessica says:

Anyone use the Keebler grasshopper mint cookies instead of Girl Scout thin mints? Should work the same, yeah? It isn’t Girl Scout cookie season and I wanna make these :)

colleen says:

Have you made this with grasshoppers from keebler?

colleen says:

Sorry! Didn’t see post above was same question as me!

Emma says:

I added some mint m&ms and it added a really nice texture and color!