Ultimate Grasshopper Cookies

Ultimate Grasshopper Cookies

I finally took the dive and went to my first blogger party.

I tend to be socially awkward in situations where I know not a soul, which is why I started baking in the first place.  So 50 bubbly, well dressed women in one small room was a tad overwhelming given that I spend most of my time in the kitchen with just me and Pandora.  It almost felt like speed dating because whenever one person left their chair another person would immediately fill it and ask me “So what do you blog about?”

They would quickly find out about my blog, my book and that I’m 23.  Then they would continue to try and set me up with their younger brothers…*cough* The Alison Show *cough*.

But it was so much fun!  So many awesome women doing what they love and making a living from it.  I won $100 gift card from Nordstrom, free head shots, and went home with a fun swag bag from Jillee’s. I even got to meet 2 of the famous Six Sisters! [end-story]

Ultimate Grasshopper Cookies

Ultimate Grasshopper Cookies

1 Box Devil's Food Cake mix
1/2 C. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
Mint Frosting:
3/4 C. butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
2-3 C. powdered sugar
milk, if needed
green food dye, if desired
Chocolate Glaze:
1 1/2 C. chocolate chips (I like to use chocolate "melts")
4 Tbsp. butter
Andes Mint Candies, roughly chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine cake mix, eggs, butter (make sure you let it cool a little so it doesn't cook the eggs), vanilla and sugar. That batter will be stiff.
3. Make dough balls a little large than a Tablespoon and place on cookie sheets to bake. (You may want to pat each dough ball down a little bit because cake mix cookies tend to bake up tall.)
4. Bake for 7-9 minutes and let cool on cooling racks.
5. Mint Frosting: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Add peppermint extract and slowly add it powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add 1-2 Tablespoons milk if it gets too thick. Add green dye for color if desired.
6. Chocolate Glaze: Melt chocolate chips and butter together in a microwave proof bowl. Zap for about 30 seconds, then stir, then microwave in 10 second increments and stir until smooth.
7. To assemble (see photos). Pipe on frosting, smooth over with a knife, spoon on your glaze and top with peppermint candies.

recipe adapted from Six Sisters Stuff

Grasshopper Cookies

Ultimate Mint Cookies

Start with any round tip.  You don’t even need a tip you can just use a plastic bag as a piping bag and snip off the tip.  It’s just faster and looks nicer than using a knife to slab it on.

Round piping tip

Pipe a little frosting on…

Mint Cookies

Flatten it out with a knife or off-set spatula.  I even made mine dip down a bit creating a shallow “bowl” for the chocolate glaze to sit it so it didn’t roll off.

Mint Cookie recipe

Spoon on some glaze and spread it around a bit.

Chocolate Mint Cookies

Press some Andes Mints into the chocolate.  You don’t have to do this but it makes them look even more decadent.

Chocolate Mint Cookie Recipe

60 thoughts on “Ultimate Grasshopper Cookies

Danielle B. says:

This is completely random and unrelated to your post but I LOVE your nail polish color. What is it?? (Also, these cookies look absolutely amazing!)

Mercedes says:

These look so great! I love all of the details that you added for the ultimate chocolate mint taste!

dianna says:

Yummy! Thanks

Gina says:

Oh my stars- those look so amazing. I have a few people in this house with a grasshopper obsession so I will be making these.

Ciel says:

These look amazing….lots of possibilities with this method!!!
    How many does the recipe make and what size are they?

Laura says:

I love anything with mint + chocolate, so these look delicious!

Julia says:

Is your frosting tip on the outside of your bag?

Ms. BettySue Baker says:

These look wonderful, and different! Thanks!!

Mrs.F says:

Just checking….you used peppermint extract, not mint extract?

Liz says:

Love these! I don’t like to be in situations where I don’t no anyone either….but it happens and I deal with it! Congrats on the $100 gift card! :)

Kim says:

Do you add a little warm water to the glaze if its too stiff? I didn’t want to microwave it any longer as I was afraid the chocolate would burn. Great recipe though and mine turned out very nice. I just thought the glaze would be a little nicer to work with.

Julie says:

What did I do wrong, mine came out flat and HUGE? My green icing was bumpy and the chocolate frosting was chunky as well? I want to perfect these, do you have any tips. I feel I used everything to the tee? I want to try again this weekend, any tips?

PS. they were very yummy, just not pretty!!

Julie M

Well I used a Pillsbury cake mix, so give that a shot. If your icing/frosting was lumpy is means there were chunks of butter it it. Make sure to really beat the butter (it should be soft to start anyway) and then add in the other ingredients. If the chocolate glaze was chunky then you need to melt it down more. Melt/stir it until it’s smooth. Hope that helps!

• Brenda says:

In step 2 of your directions you have “make sure you let it cool a little so it doesn’t cook the eggs” what exactly are you referring to? Do you bake the cake mix and then add the other ingredients?

Mandy says:

Wondering if you can tell me how many cookies this recipe can make?

These look A-Maze-ing!! I must make me a batch or two!! Thanks for sharing.

catie mortensen says:

You use peppermint extract, not mint extract….right???

Megan says:

My frosting was runny, and I used a buttload of powered sugared thicken it.

Heather says:

These look super yummy. I love mint and chocolate combo! Did the frosting harden or is it soft? I’m wondering for packing them for travel at Thanksgiving. Thank you!

Kayla says:

How do you make a vegan version of this?

jana says:

These cookies won first place in a cookie contest at work I entered! I did change the icing/frosting to a yummy creamcheese frosting so it wasn’t quite so sweet. I also made them smaller. They tend to spread so much since it’s a cake mix. Thank you for the awesome recipe!

Bead Lady says:

I am gluten free as is a girl friend at work. Her birthday is right after Christmas. I substituted Pamela’s” gluten free chocolate cake mix for the regular cake mix and followed all of the directions to a T. I must say I am so happy with the results that tears come to my eyes. Well, not really but these are soooo good! Thanks for the creation! It makes baking fun again!

Kristine says:

I found with the first batch they were too big, I then made them the size of a teaspoon instead of tablespoon and found they were the perfect size. I guess it just depends on personal preference on the size of cookies each person likes.

Gina says:

A co-worker made and brought some of these in to work yesterday…they are to die for! OMG are they every good! She shared your blog link with me so I could get the recipe…I plan to make these for my son’s birthday party next weekend. Thanks for sharing your fantastic recipe!

Amallia says:

wow looks so cute , very pretty, nice pictures, thanks for sharing

Veda says:

In step 2 what are you referring to when you say “that batter will be still.” ?

Veda says:

on #3 did you mean to say “you may want to pat each dough ball down a little bit” instead of what you said: “You make one to pat each dough ball down.”?

Jessie says:

Question, my cookie mix is not stiff. When adding the cake mix, is it just the packet of cake mix or do you add the cake mix along with the stuff that the cake mix says to add like water and 3 eggs and vegetable oil?

Lucy says:

followed recipe exact and the dough is like a thick cake batter, too wet to roll and then flattens when baked, tried this recipe twice… any tips?

Kasey says:

How many people does this recepie serve? I’m baking for a party of 40 and would love to make this but would like to know how much I’ll need for my party.

Joey says:

These look utterly incredible! Would you mind if I (attempted) to modify these to be dairy free?

Found you on tastespotting. These looks so delicious! Love it

Jeanne says:

For the frosting you say 2-3 Cup powdered sugar. You are saying 2 to 3 cups, right? Not 2/3 cup.

Jeanne says:

I WON our cookie exchange at work! First time in 9 years trying! Thank you…

Jackie says:

How do you typically store these? And how long are they good for? I need to bake these on a Friday to give as gifts on a Sunday. I wasn’t sure if I should freeze them or if they should be OK in an air-tight container until Sunday.

Karen says:

Could you use Creme de Menthe instead of peppermint extract?

Joy Gibbs says:

How many cookies does this recipe make? A friend of the family has an annual Cookie Blowout. She invites a bunch of women over and we all bake cookies and then they are judged to see which are the best. I need to make 8 dozen!

Suzanne says:

Made these today and they look delicious. I think though you have to make a couple times to get it just right. I don’t think chocolate chips work as well as chocolate that is made to melt. I tried chocolate chips and it doesn’t get thin enough without being in danger of overcooking, though it tasted good! I didn’t have chocolate melts so used Bakers chocolate squares. Even though I may make other adjustments (amount of milk, powdered sugar – due to my overuse, not recipe error), they look pretty good and are yummy too! Thanks for the great recipe! I’m sure I’ll use again and again.