Peppermint Bark Puppy Chow

Peppermint Bark Puppy Chow (Muddy Buddies) is the perfect treat for Christmas! White chocolate covered Chex cereal coated with crushed candy canes, could anything be more perfect? And if you’re looking for a chocolate peanut butter muddy buddy recipe, my Peanut Butter Brownie Puppy Chow will change you life!

Peppermint Bark Puppy Chow

What would December be without a White Elephant gift party? There’s always the good gift everyone fights over and then there’s the uhh… not-so-good gift.  I remember people giving away ONE glove, a broken remote control, a traffic cone, even a jar of their own toe nails!  Gross!  But when I was 12 I went to my first White Elephant party and someone gave a box of peppermint bark–That was the gift everyone wanted. [end-story]

Peppermint Bark Muddy Buddies

Confession: I tried to make this last year and totally failed.  I tried to stir the candy canes into the chocolate before coating the cereal and then tossed it in powdered sugar.  It didn’t work and didn’t look half as pretty as this batch.  PLUS its not crazy sweet because you don’t need any powdered sugar!

making muddy buddies

Crush you candy canes in a blender! This is will the best Christmas baking trick you learn!

crush candy canes

10 seconds later…

crushed candy cane

Love Puppy Chow? I have a million recipes! Okay, not a million but a bunch!

24 puppy chow recipes

Peppermint Bark Puppy Chow

Peppermint Bark Puppy Chow

6-7 C. Rice Chex cereal
2 C. White Melts (Or Almond Bark)*
1 3/4 C. crushed candy canes, about 15 or so
*Use something that is meant to be melted and used for candy, most white chocolate chips don't melt down thin enough.

1. Place cereal in a large bowl.
2. Melt your white melts or almond bark on the stove top over medium-low heat and stir until smooth.
3. Pour melted goodness over cereal and gently fold until covered.
4. Dump into a large plastic bag (or large tupperware with a top) and add crushed candy canes. Shake until covered.
5. Dump onto a cookie sheet to cool and enjoy!
NOTE: Puppy chow/muddy buddies aren't an exact science, you can always add more chocolate or less cereal depending on your taste!
IDEA:Serve in cute christmas goody bags to give to neighbors, friends and family!

Remember, make sure to use something that’s meant to be melted!  Chocolate chips don’t melt down smooth enough.  In regular puppy chow (muddy buddies) you mix peanut butter with the chocolate chips, and the peanut butter is what helps to thin it out.  Peanut butter candy cane just didn’t sound appealing to me…

Ghiradelli Melting Wafers

38 thoughts on “Peppermint Bark Puppy Chow

Oh my goodness, my friends and I are doing a White Elephant tomorrow and I’m a bit nervous to see what they come up with! I’ve decided to gift a bag of walnuts since I know that it’s just going to come back to me (unless my friend keeps it out of spite) so I can bake something with it–I thought I was being clever haha. This puppy chow is perfect for the holidays and I’m glad it worked out well this time around! I love the idea of coating the cereal in crushed up candy canes instead of powdered sugar!

maria johnson says:

I pinted the Peppermint Bark Puppy Chow

Vicki R says:

I’m a big fan of dark chocolate and peppermint. I made two separate batches of peppermint bark — one white, one dark. Once dry, I tossed the two together. Presented in clear cello bags tied with pretty red and white striped ribbon, it makes a lovely (and scrumptious) gift.

Carol H says:

My 10yo and I made this tonight for her GS meeting tomorrow. Did a taste test…yum!

Hannah L. says:

Hi darling girl. This looks AMAZING. My favorite things all in one. MISS YOU and see you soon!

Carolsue says:

I Pinned Peppermint Bark Puppy Chow

Lynn says:

To make chocolate “workable” (keep it soft enough to work with) add melted butter. Easy trick and it doesn’t take away from the taste of the chocolate.

Lacey says:

Where do u get the ghirideli melt able chocolate?

Some grocery stores carry it, Wilton makes a brand called “melts” that are found at Michael’s, Hobby Lobby and other craft stores! You can also use “almond bark” found at most grocery stores!

Pam says:

Could I use Bakers White Chocolate for this? If so, how many ounces do you think this would take?

Kelly Westgerdes says:

Are these full size candy cannes or small ones?

Julie says:

Yum! I love peppermint bark! I bought some Wilton peppermint candy melts and wondered if I could use those or what changes I’d have to make if I used those. (Or Hershey’s peppermint kisses…are they the same?)

Mckaela says:

I love this! I’ve been looking for a good peppermint puppy chow recipe for quite a while. Last year one of my friends gave a few other people and I peppermint puppy chow for Christmas and refused to give me the recipe, this year I’m the one who gave everyone puppy chow. Thank you so much! This is awesome.

Laurie says:

I made a large batch of this to add along with Christmas gifts and it is simply addicting! Thank you for sharing the recipe! I will definitely be trying your other puppy chow recipes!

katie says:

would this make it in OK Valentine gift and can I use starlight mints instead of candy canes

katie says:

thanks for your reply. My cousin actually made your recipe at Christmas for a hostess gift for my mom. my mom raved about the recipe so I’m going to have my toddler help me make the recipe for a Valentine gift for his grandmas! Thanks so much

Mary says:

How long will the Puppy Chow keep? I would like to make some for my great-granddaughter’s 2nd birthday party in December. Thanks!

It keeps as long as the separate ingredients keep. So for this one just keep it sealed in a ziplock bag and it will last as long as the chocolate!

• Christy says:

as long as you can keep your hands out of it, it will keep!! haven’t had the peppermint kind but it sounds amazing!! the chocolate kind is ADDICTING!! My mom made me some a few years ago and asked if I wanted some “dog food”! Dingy ME, I thought she meant the REAL kind and was calling me a dog. She had to explain and SHOW me what she meant!! Boy, am I glad she did!!

arjean says:

What is the weight equivalent when using almond bark?

Suzanne Holt says:

I think this would be a perfect Christmas afternoon snack. Pinned to my
    “Christmas Cravings” board.

Amanda says:

Just made some of this tonight and OH MY GOD it is so delicious! I think I have found my new go to holiday treat for family and friends. I bought some Christmas tins from Michaels the other day and I just dropped handfuls into plastic bags and placed them into tins for a nice little surprise when everyone opens their packages this December!

Can’t wait to try all of your other puppy chow recipes – I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to make some.

Oh fun! Yes this stuff is so easy and quick to make and delicious! Plus, everyone makes caramel corn and sugar cookies, it’s fun to give away something a little different and special :)

TannyD says:

Hi, my son and I made this tonight for his class Christmas party. Gotta say, it’s super delicious! The kids are going to love it. Thanks for the twist on the usual puppy chow!

This treat is soon fun!

Your Peppermint Bark Puppy Chow inspired my version, Lizzy! Thanks for sharing!

MuthaFuker says:

it exists and you can live it with one of the beautiful Brazilian girls.
    Allow them to take part in assessing the kind of persons you meet and talk to in dating services.

and experience the best of that person before getting married.