Cloud Cupcakes

Cloud Cupcake

The frosting looks and tastes like light fluffy clouds.  It really will become your favorite frosting and you will be wondering where it’s been all your life.

It’s been in heaven.

Cloud Cupcakes

Sometimes (oftentimes) the best things come by mistake.  Like the way I frosted these cupcakes.  I was just messing around in Leigh Anne’s kitchen one day and before I knew it I looked at the cupcake in my hand, and it looked like a cloud.  Who would have thought?

Cloud Frosting

Cloud Frosting

8 oz cream cheese, cold (right from the fridge) and don't use low-fat
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
1 pint heavy whipping cream, cold (right from the fridge)

1. Using a whisk attachment on your stand mixer, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
2. With the mixer on slow, add vanilla and heavy whipping cream and beat until stiff peaks form.
3. Pipe onto vanilla (or rainbow!) cupcakes with a large circle tip starting in the center and movie outward to create little "mounds." Feel free to practice on the bottom of a cup until you like how they look. To keep with my St. Patrick's theme, I put a little gold coin in some of the clouds.

Here’s a video I made of HOW to actually make the frosting:

Here’s a video I made of how to PIPE the frosting out:

Start with a COLD mixing bowl. (Just run the outside of the bowl under cold water for 10 seconds.)

Cream cheese…

Perfect Whipped Frosting

Plus the powdered sugar…

Whipped Cream Frosting

Whip it until it’s smooth. Sometimes you’ll have to break up the cream cheese with your spatula first to get it going…

Fluffy Frosting

Add the vanilla and heavy whipping cream.

Here’s where you start to wonder if this is really going to be frosting…

How to make frosting

Whip, whip! Ahh… there’s the frosting!

Cloud Frosting

Large circle tip!

Round Circle Piping Tip

You COULD make your vanilla cupcakes rainbow by dying them colors and then put a chocolate gold coin in the clouds because Leprechauns always find gold at the end of rainbows!

Cloud Cupcake Recipe

Confession: I ate this frosting with strawberries for dinner.  It was incredible.

Coud FrostingThe gorgeous greaseproof liners are from Sweets & Treats!

67 thoughts on “Cloud Cupcakes

Ellie says:

I’ve been looking for a great frosting recipe! Can you use butter instead of cream cheese to make a buttercream?

Jenn says:

Can you provide a tutorial on how to use that round tip to make these cloud puffs? I am a novice trying hard to get better at this! :) Thank you!

Vanessa Rivera says:

Lizzy, I first found this frosting on your site with the Fruity Fourth of July cupcakes you
    made last year. This has become my favorite whipped frosting and holds up so well! I love the usual whipped cream, but sometimes it is hard to decorate a cake with it. Everyone loves this frosting. I like mine a little sweeter, so I use 2 cups of powdered sugar and even added cooled ganache to it for a chocolate version. Thank you for introducing me to this recipe!

Melina says:

Can’t wait to try this one! Thanks:)

Amanda Thomas says:

If your using this frosting for cupcakes and your not eating them right away will they need to be stored in the refrigerator?

Agos says:

This frosting looks amazing! I love that it doesn’t have butter or a truckload of sugar. I’ll be sure to give it a try :)

Bailey says:

ah that is ADORABLE!!

lirionohemy says:

I was just looking for a different frosting recipe with cream cheese! I’m so excited to try it!!!

Maribel says:

Fabulous!! I added 1/4 cup of freeze dried blueberry powder and it added a beautiful lavendar color. The taste is delicious not too sweet. This will be perfect for a Sofia the First cupcake dress I will be making for my nieces 2nd birthday!

Ann says:

This recipe sounds so good, I’m off to try it now, where can I buy dried blueberry powder in England?

You’ll need freeze dried blueberries! Then you use a blender or a food processor to grind them down to “powder.” A lot of more specialty grocery stores will carry freeze dried fruit, just call ahead and ask!

Anna says:

I was so excited to try this last night and it completely failed! all I got was runny frosting. i used the mixer and followed directions perfectly. Should I have used cold cream cheese and cream? Still had good flavor but there is no way i was getting it on cupcakes! Help!

I’ve made this a ton and that happened to me ONCE. Yes I do keep my cream cheese and cream cold. I also make sure to use HEAVY whipping cream. I’ll adjust the ingredients to specify cold.

Ainsley says:

I have made a whipped cream frosting similar to this. It doesn’t have cream cheese in it, but I’m definitely thinking of trying it after seeing this!

Before I start, I put my whisk and bowl in the fridge (freezer if I’m pressed for time) in order to get both really cold. It helps to keep the ingredients cold. Heavy wiping cream needs to be cold in order to whip into the texture you want.

I also put 1/4 cup water and one packet of unflavored gelatin in the bowl before I put anything else. I just let it sit for about a minute or two before I start the recipe. It helps to stabilize it after it has been put in the fridge for a little while. But the cream cheese might be all you need for this recipe.

Once, I didn’t refrigerate before traveling with the cake (we left right after i finished making it) and the top layer slid off about 25%. I didn’t fix it right away, so it set that way when I put it in the fridge. It actually was a little hard to move!

Sara Reis says:

How many cupcakes can we frost with this frosting ?

Tammy says:

What size tip did you use?
    Thanks

Shawn says:

Can you make this frosting a week ahead of time and store it in the fridge? If so, would you just re-whip it before putting it on cupcakes?

Brandy says:

I love this recipe ! The kids’ new favorite frosting. Do you know the best way to turn it into a chocolate version !

Staci says:

This frosting is so good! I made it for a little kids birthday party tomorrow and forgot the vanilla, which I think the kids would prefer. I could eat it by the spoonful without the vanilla! Can I add it though I’ve already finished it or will it make it fall flat? Thanks!

Ansa says:

Can this frosting be made ahead and stored in refrigerator till ready to use?
    looks so fluffy and light!

Ansa

Luiggi says:

I too made this frosting 2 X now because I REALLY want a whipped frosting that will work. The first time… room temp cream cheese, and the only thing I can do is use it to dip my cupcakes in.. way too runny. This time I made sure and only used cold ingredients. again – fail.. too runny. I currently have it in my fridge and am hoping if I pull it out tomorrow and whip it… it will come to form? I wanna so bad use it to make those lil cute clouds like in your picture. Everyone loves my buttercream, but I prefer whipping cream icing and I just cannot seem to make it :( And ideas?

Lisa says:

Do you have any suggestions for a non dairy frosting? Would vegetable shortening work as a substitute for butter?

Thanks!

Daniela says:

Just tried this recipe – I think it will become my favorite frosting! Perfect texture and perfect amount of sweetness! And reaaaally easy to make. Thanks so much for sharing!

Melissa says:

Hello, I love this recipe and cannot wait to try it. But I did have one question for you. Could I possibly get the same consistency using a MarshMallow mixture? Instead of cream cheese, maybe fluff? Or do you have a recipe where I could make these same clouds but with MarshMallow Fluff?
    -Thank You, I would greatly appreciate the input. Making over 100 cupcakes for my best friends baby shower. Theme:Rain drops. So I’m making her some rain clouds :)

Brie says:

Hi! I’m excited to try this recipe! Do you think that rosettes would keep their shape if piped with this recipe? Also if it’s strong enough to hold a chevron pattern(made from marshmallow fondant) on the side of a cake?

Brie says:

Thank you!

Mary says:

Just wanted to say THANK YOU this frosting is AMAZING! SO easy to make and delicious…Saved my life couple of times !! Thanks again

Jess says:

After the cupcakes are frosted do they need to be put in the fridge or can they be at room temperature in an air tight container? Thank you!

Reych says:

Hi! I’m really looking forward to mAking this frosting but I don’t have a whisk attachment, i do have a stand mixer though, but will it still work?

Sharon Farrar says:

I made this frosting to put on cupcakes for my daughter-in-law’s baby shower yesterday and it was all anyone would talk about afterward! It was a HUGE hit. Everyone asked for the recipe, and I was able to write it down on the spot because there are only four common ingredients and very simple instructions. I can’t recommend this recipe highly enough, it is absolutely delicious! Thank you!

Jessica Leon says:

About how many cupcakes with a recipe frost? Thanks!!

Rebecca says:

This frosting is fantastic! We didn’t use the ‘piping’ method we just spread them generously with an offset spatula and it has a beautiful light texture and my 6 yr old loves it! we tinted them with teal gel coloring and added a few sprinkles to them. Thanks for a deliciously easy frosting recipe! :)

Priya says:

Can I use stabilized whip cream (heavy whipping cream with knox gelatin) to make the clouds? Will they hold their shape? Also, how long can I leave cupcakes with this cream cheese frosting on the counter?

Saarah says:

Hi!
    May I know the volume in mL of 1 pint of heavy cream?

thanks :)

Olivia says:

This looks so great, I’m making cupcakes for a birthday party and they want colourful frosting- would it be okay to add gel food colouring to the frosting or would it make the frosting deflate/ Runny?

Katie says:

I’m dying to try this frosting for halloween cupcakes! Will it do well with different icing tips for fun designs? I’m wanting to dye it with gel color. Also, will it hold shape if it sits out for a little while? I don’t want it melting if they have to sit or endure a 20 minute car ride.

Melissa says:

I added food coloring to make it purple. It’s not getting stiff! Can I or should I add more powdered sugar!

Leni says:

Can I color it with color gel?

Leni says:

Also I noticed in your video on making the frosting that you didn’t put in the vanilla. Would that cause it to become runny if you did?

Shannon says:

These are beautiful! Is the frosting more like cream cheese frosting, or whipped cream frosting? It looks super fluffy!

Eryn says:

This looks so yummy! Just wondering how many cupcakes you iced with this recipe? Thanks so much!

Zoya says:

Great recipe and pretty simple for beginners too! Can you add blueberry syrup/puree to this for flavour/colour or will the liquid mess with the consistency? Other recipes suggest to add freeze dried fruit powder but that’s not easily available where I live, sadly.

Amy says:

Hello – Just made this (it’s 1am here – bday party tomorrow) – worked a treat. Doubled the quantity and have loads left over for freezing (yes this is ok here) after icing a massive cake and doing 12 cupcakes. I have no idea what heavy whipping cream is, but I used a combination of double cream and whipping cream and I used a bit less because it comes in different quantities here and I got confused, still worked fine. Has about half the sugar quantity of any other american recipe I read and it’s totally sweet enough.

Kayla long says:

I.was.wondering can.u.make.this.up.head of time.and put into refrigerator and it be ok to use a couple days later or a day later?

Karli says:

Hi!! Can I use gel color in this frosting?? Thanks

Karli says:

Hi!! Can I use gel color in this frosting? Thanks

Jamie says:

On this recipe can you use just a whisk instead of a whisk mixer

Stephanie says:

Could I freeze this frosting recipe, and use it at a later date?