On my journey to Cake Pops, I decided to start with Cake Bites. I was bored at home with nothing to do and decided to finally take the plunge. I went out and got some chocolate melts from my local WinCo and got to it.[end-story]
Confetti Cake Bites
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 Tablespoons butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup sprinkles
2 1/2 cups Milk Chocolate Melts
Spinkles for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees grease 2 round cake pans (or one large rectangle pan).
2. Sift cake mix and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, gently whisk egg whites, oil, buttermilk, sour cream, vanilla extract and almond extract together.
4. Add cake mix and mix until smooth.
5. Pour batter into cake pan(s) and bake until an inserted knife comes out clean. (My round pans took about 20 minutes.)
6. Let the cake COMPLETELY cool. Then crumble it into a bowl.
7. In a stand mixer, beat butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth. Add cake crumbles and let mix. (If you over-baked your cake, you may need to add a little extra butter or cream cheese. Taste the "filling" to see if you need to add more powdered sugar.)
8. Use a mini scoop of create your cake bites. Each bite should be about 1 or 2 tablespoons in size. Place the balls of dough in the freezer for 15 minutes and then roll in your hands to smooth out the edges. Place in the freezer for 10 more minutes while you prep the chocolate.
9. Melt the chocolate melts (or coating chocolate) in double boiler until thin and smooth. Dip cake balls into melted chocolate, cover with chocolate and then remove. Place onto aluminum foil and immediately top with sprinkles. (The chocolate cools fast.)
10. Ta-dah! Done and done.