Zesty lemon cupcakes topped with rich, all natural raspberry frosting. Maybe we should swap out the lemonade stand for a cupcake stand this summer 🙂
If you sit next to me in a movie theatre with a big jug of popcorn, I can guarantee I’ll be eating at least 75% of it. I am just that obsessed with that crunchy, salty taste. The standard movie treats like popcorn and candy are great, but what about other food? I’ve snuck in burritos, pasta, chips and salsa, smoothies, crackers and hummus, and even fruit. I always just feel a little better about myself when I’m popping raspberries instead of popcorn.
Raspberry Lemonade Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- zest of 2-3 lemons
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C. oil
- 1/2 C. milk or buttermilk
- 3/4 C. sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 C. butter softened
- 1.2 oz. pkg. freeze dried raspberries crushed and sift out seeds ( I get mine from Trader Joe's)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
Fresh Raspberries for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a large bowl and set aside.
3. In another bowl. combine lemon zest, eggs, oil, milk and sour cream until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Let cool.
7. Raspberry Frosting: Beat butter until smooth. Add crushed freeze dried berries (sifted to remove seeds) and beat again. Add lemon juice and slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
8. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with fresh raspberries.
Topping cupcakes with raspberries is seriously my favorite decorations, they always look so cute!
PS: these gorgeous yellow greaseproof liners are from Sweets & Treats!