I’m a sucker for fruit in the summer. These Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes are delicious by themselves, but with this strawberry frosting (naturally colored and flavored) this cupcake is simply heavenly.
Stunned by the bright pink frosting that’s naturally colored? Find out my secret!
I used to think that poppy seeds were just little pieces of dirt that accidentally got mixed into the batter. Why would anyone want a bunch of black dots in their food? Why not use sprinkles instead? At least they’re colorful, I thought….
Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake:
- 1 box white cake mix
- zest of 2 large lemons
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C. oil
- 1/2 C. milk
- 1 C. sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. Poppy Seeds
- 1 C. butter softened
- 1.2 oz. freeze dried strawberries finely crushed in bender and sifted (I get mine from Trader Joe's)
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. milk if needed
Fresh Berries for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcakes liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine lemon zest, eggs, oil, milk and sour cream until smooth.
4. Add cake mix and stir until smooth.
5. Add in poppy seeds and stir again. (NOTE: You can replace milk for fresh lemon juice, but it will effect how the cupcakes rise)
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
7. Let cool.
8. Strawberry Frosting: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Add in crushed freeze-dried strawberries and slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add in vanilla extract. If it becomes too thick, add milk to thin out!
9. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with a fresh strawberry!
I’m really obsessed with using Trader Joe’s freeze-dried fruits for frostings because you get SO much flavor and color naturally! If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s around you, other stores sometimes carry similar products or you can always search on Amazon for them!
Here’s my fun little photo set up! I used a white tabletop I had made for photos, a little reflector board off to the right to bound light from the window back onto the cupcakes, and then a little color from the pink hand towel!
Beautiful yellow greaseproof liners from Sweets & Treats!