Eggnog Cookies

Yesterday I had the chance to go to Your Homebased Mom’s kitchen and she asked me to bring a few holiday recipes.  I wanted to try something new and I wanted it to involve eggnog.
         I found this recipe online and it got rave reviews, so I knew it couldn’t go too wrong.  I mean, how embarrassing would that be to go to YHM’s kitchen and bring a disaster recipe?
         Well, no fear of disaster with these cookies.
Eggnog Cookies
Cookies:
1 1/4 cups white sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup eggnog
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Eggnog Glaze:
1 ½ cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons eggnog

1. Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C)
2. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Cream sugar and butter until light
4. Add eggnog, vanilla, and egg yolks; beat at medium speed with mixer until smooth.
5. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until just combined.
6. Do not over mix
7. Spoon onto un-greased cookie sheets or parchment paper and make the dough balls rather small, they will spread generously in the oven.
8. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg.
9. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until the edges barely start to brown.
10.  While cookies are in the oven, make the eggnog glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar with 3 T eggnog.
11.  Gaze your cookies warm or cooled and top with cinnamon.

For an extra twist… check out my Eggnog Malt Cookies!

57 thoughts on “Eggnog Cookies

Leigh Anne @YourHomebased Mom says:

My favorite cookie of the day – they were so good!! Thanks for coming and baking with us. We loved having you.

Darilyn says:

I had to hop over here to get this recipe. I'm going to make these today!

Mama Peck says:

These sound so good! I have a son and grandson totally addicted to eggnog. I'm thinkin' they would adore these. Thanks for sharing this one. :)

Belly Feathers says:

I made these this weekend after seeing them on Your Homebased Mom, and they are fantastic! I think they're my new favorite cookie recipe…if only they sold eggnog all year (maybe the do). I included a link on my blog: http://bellyfeathersparty.blogspot.com/2011/01/best-cookie-recipes.html

emarvin101988 says:

So excited to try these tonight! Thanks for sharing :)

Just pulled the first batch out of the oven… So good. I used "adult" eggnog Pennsylvania Dutch an excellent choice if I do say so myself. Happy Holidays, Everybody! Enjoy!! Sherri

Megs says:

mm so good and for us the glaze is TOTALLY optional :)

Yummy! Be careful not sprinkle too much nutmeg & cinnamon on top;)

Candice says:

Gorg! This will be a hit at the cookie swap!

How many does it make?

So good. I got about 3 dozen cookies out of it. I wonder if they are best kept at room temp or in the fridge? There is eggnog in the glaze.

Lizzy Mae says:

I have left them out and had them the day before, and they are fine. But any longer than that, I would say to stay safe and put them in a tupperware. I will be doing an updated version of these soon!

Isa D. says:

Oh my…! Just DE-LI-CIOUS! Those are gonna be a hit at work! I made them teaspoon-size and I got 41 cookies. The glaze is a must, it makes all the flavour come out when eating the cookie. Thanks! :-)

Cindy says:

These are fantastic and I even "goofed" when making them. Wanted to halve the recipe, like I do on all first time recipe run throughs. Kept getting interupted though, so ended up using 8T butter vs 6T, both egg yolks and all the vanilla and baking soda- and they still turned out GREAT!!

I am making these today for Saturday…how should I store them?

Lizzy Mae says:

I would bake the cookies and seal them in a ziplock bag. Then on Saturday, put the glaze on.

Does the glaze harden after it sits for a period of time or does it stay soft?

Lizzy Mae says:

Honestly, I don't know. I can never keep these around long enough to find out. But if you keep the galze very loose (meaning not too much powdered sugar) then it should keep like a doughnut glaze.

Laura G says:

Is the dough supposed to be gooey?? Wondering if I did something wrong!

Is it better to use alcoholic eggnog or N/A?

Lizzy Mae says:

Probably not. The alcohol will just burn off when you cook them, but you could use it in the glaze. I don't drink alcohol though, so I probably am, not the best source :)

I was going to send these to my husband in Afghanistan. Do you think I shouldn't because of the glaze??

Lizzy Mae says:

I don't know… maybe google that question.

Lizzy Mae says:

Gooey? Yes, it is a little gooey. You can freeze the dough for a few minutes if you need to in order to make dough balls

Made these tonight and I must say they are amazing!! They are so different from other cookies and a new favorite. Can't wait for the people I made them for to try them.

Lizzy Mae says:

Make sure to check out my new Eggnog Malt Cookies! I will link to it on this post!

Taylor says:

made these tonight…yum yum yum!!

Tiffany says:

made these tonight (as a test for coworkers for the real test of my church group shhh) – for those that are wondering, the glaze (with the directions' measurements) does harden after, but i put the glaze on while the cookies were still warm so i'm not sure what would happen if you put the glaze on cooled down cookies.

do you need to refridgerate them since the glaze has eggnog in it??

Vixen says:

So delicious!! I'm so excited to make these. I also featured them on my blog: http://vixenmade.blogspot.com/2011/12/festive-eggnog-recipe-roundup.html

can you freeze these?

Lizzy Mae says:

If you leave them out for over a day, yes refrigerate! Freeze the cookies alone, and put the eggnog on when ready to serve for the best results, good luck!

White sugar as in granulated or powdered?

Lizzy Mae says:

Granulated!

You can buy eggnog and freeze it and make these cookies all year.

[...] daughter made these cookies, she got the recipe from yourcupofcake.com.  She told me, “you gotta make these cookies, but add chocolate chips!”  So here they [...]

Sarah says:

I just made these and I love it!

[...] made lots of cookies and candy.  There was a batch of egg nog cookies, almond sugar cookies, white chocolate cinnamon pretzels, chocolate crinkles, and raspberry almond [...]

[...] Eggnog Cookies from yourcupofcake.com [...]

[...] adapted from Your Cup of Cake. Be Sociable, Share! Tweet featured Chinet Winner .triberr_comment_system [...]

ellie says:

hi there! for those of us not in the US….are we able to make our own egg-nog mix? :)
    thanks !

Amanda says:

Hi! I wanted to let you know I featured these delicious looking cookies on my new blog.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda

Yolanda says:

Oh man these are good!! My husband LOVES eggnog so I had to try the recipe & I found myself having to stop from “trying” more than two cookies! My made a double batch so I could cover the cookie exchange tomorrow, the Ugly Christmas Sweater party at work on Wednesday, and a birthday Thursday! Yes, saving on time and money ; ) Thanks for sharing!
    It was “gooey” but just like you said, I threw the batch in the freezer for awhile to make for easier cookie molding.
    As far as size, I’d say a little more than a tsp for each cookie works!

Elaine says:

I saw an eggnog cookie recipe on The Recipe Critic and wondered where it came from. I tracked it down to you via Pinterest. I can’t wait to try these—they look delicious! My dad and husband both LOVE eggnog, so I’m going to make these for them.

[...] Cookies Recipe Source: original found at Food.com; slightly adapted version at Your Cup of Cake Printable [...]

Mallory says:

OMG these are amazing and they taste just like Christmas!! I made these for a pot luck at work tomorrow because myself and a few coworkers of mine LOVE egg nog, or as we call it, Liquid Christmas. These are going to be awesome!! Thank you thank you!

Revecca says:

I made these last night, it came out to 2 1/2 dozen, and mine stayed in their ball shape. They kind of looked like the Italian wedding cookies, the ones with the white powdered sugar on top. I was wondering if maybe I should add more eggnog to it to help them spread. Any ideas?

I’ve made these cookies in 4 different batches for a cookies exchange and they never flattened out! What am I doing wrong? But they still tastes fabulous… But nothing like the picture! Lol

Nikaley P. says:

I don’t know if I did something wrong…my dough looked fine and I made sure to space them out enough since the recipe said they spread big, but when I pulled them out of the oven they were still balls-hardly flattened. I don’t know if I should have flattened them before putting them in the oven, or if I should have sifted the flour…I don’t know. They tasted great, but their size is driving me crazy!

[...] and spice make the holidays extra nice. I found this recipe for Eggnog Cookies on Your Cup of Cake, and thought they would be perfect to bake up for a few holiday parties this [...]

Joy says:

I made these tonight for my Christmas Party. They were a hit and everyone loved it. Seriously I should have made 2 batches. Everyone was asking for the recipe. It was easy to make and not a big fan of icing on cookies but with this recipe YES! Loved it thank you.

Amanda says:

I know it’s been a while since any comments have been made, but I’m just wondering if anyone experienced a weird aftertaste in your mouth from the icing. Made these for a cookie swap tomorrow and I am concerned about the aftertaste I am experiencing. The cookie is delicious!!!! ;)

I made a second post about these this year! The aftertaste might have to do with the eggnog you used. I have learned that eggnog brands have very different tastes. I never got a strange after taste

Excellent cookies, love the recipe! This will be a new favorite in our Christmas cookie repertoire :)