Red Velvet Puppy Chow

Red Velvet Puppy Chow

Continuing on with both my Red Velvet mini-series and also my Puppy Chow binge….

Now since I am allergic to all things Red Velvet (red dye doesn’t like me) I didn’t actually taste these.  But I caught my roommate sneaking handfuls while I was taking photos and what was left was taken to some boys down the street who happily finished them off.  So if you’re all cupcaked out or just wanting to try something new for the upcoming holiday, give these red munchies a shot! [end-story]

Red Velvet Puppy Chow

Red Velvet Puppy Chow

5 C. Rice Chex cereal
3/4 C. white chocolate melts or chips
1/4 C. chocolate melts or chips
2 oz cream cheese, room temp
1 1/2 Tbsp. milk
1 C. Red Velvet Cake mix
1/2 C. powdered sugar
Valentines colored M&M's or other candies
Heart sprinkles for extra decoration and cute-ness

1. Measure out Rice Chex cereal and place into a large bowl.
2. Place cake mix and powdered sugar into a large plastic bag or tupperware with a lid.
3. Melt chocolates together in the microwave or on the stove top. Careful not to burn and stir until smooth.
4. Stir in cream cheese and milk (the chocolate will get thicker, but it's okay)
5. Pour chocolate over Rice Chex cereal and stir until coated.
6. Dump cereal into the bag or tupperware with powdered sugar and cake mix. Shake, shake, shake until coated.
7. Dump onto a cookie sheet and let cool.
8. Mix with extra colorful candies and serve!
NOTE: Because of the cream cheese, keep in the fridge if you won't be eating them that day. You can also omit the cream cheese all together if you wish...if you do that, you don't need the milk either!

My roommate helping me measure out the cereal

Muddy Buddy Magic

Mmmm….if only I wasn’t allergic

Red Velvet Muddy Buddies

Lots more Puppy Chow to try if you want!

24 puppy chow recipes

108 thoughts on “Red Velvet Puppy Chow

LuAnn says:

looks delish. Making this for my son in college. thanks

Judy says:

Sounds yummy!! I wish this was ‘pinnable’ on Pinterest.

Bailey says:

o.m.g. these look soooo good!!! i wish i had some right now!

Jessie says:

Umm….is there not red dye in those M&M’s? Also, I don’t reccomend calling it “Puppy Chow” as some people may mistake this as safe for dogs (when chocolate is actually deadly for them).

Tiffany says:

^ Jessie….. either you are sarcastic or just dumb.

Clare says:

Or she comes from the UK where ‘Puppy Chow’ is not a well known thing at all – not that i would have fed this to my dog once i’d looked at the recipe – but please remember not everyone who reads this is in the USA

Suzanne says:

Hey Lizzy! I am a loyal follower and look forward to your daily recipes in my inbox! I need your help, though. I made this puppy chow and it is delicious! But I was disappointed that it doesn’t have that tinge of red I see in your photo. Mine just looks light brown. I followed the recipe to the letter. Any suggestions?

mamak says:

I’m all for eating healthy and actually won’t buy “regular” foods with anything artificial in them or several other ingredients, but be serious . . . OF COURSE those M&Ms have red dye in them (unfortunately there is a lot of junk that is allowed in foods in the US that isn’t allowed elsewhere), but this a treat. Eat it reasonably, not often, and enjoy . . . if you eat healthy most of the time, a little junk now and then certainly won’t kill you. ;)

Can’t wait to try this!

Christy says:

These are adorable – I can’t wait to try them!

Patti says:

any suggestions if I can’t find red velvet cake mix? Haven’t seen it up here :(

brandi says:

Does it taste just as good without the cream cheese, anyone know? Id like to make and have sit out all day but also want it to be yummy :)

Emily says:

I was wondering how much this does this recipe make or how many servings do you think it’ll serve?

Ashley says:

This might be a dumb question but here we go, do you mix the cake mix before you put it in the bag with powdered sugar, our leave it in it’s powder form?

Melissa S. says:

I have a question. I made it, and it was good. But after one day (and I did store it in the fridge), it lost it’s “crunch”. Though still a tasteful snack. I am used to using the honey nut chex cereal for my usual puppy chow, so used the rice this time. Is it the cereal type, or is there any suggestion as to why it may have come out a less crunchy? (not sure if it was the cream cheese (appropriate amount) and milk). Thanks.

Honestly I do not know. I know the corn chex makes it a crunchier but it changes the texture in other ways too, but I prefer rice. I also made the muddy buddies and they were eaten that same day. You can leave out the cream cheese and milk all together, I did that for my seconds round and it worked just fine.

MamaM says:

Could also be the moisture from the cream cheese and milk. Eliminating these also eliminates the need to refrigerate! ! Try it again without the dairy and see if that helps.

[...] Red Velvet Puppy Chow from Your Cup of Cake Red Velvet Cake Mix Donuts from Buns in My Oven Red Velvet Milky Way Cake Cookies from Picky Palate [...]

Shelby says:

Made this for a party tonight. Someone is going to have to hide it from me or there won’t be any for tonight! This is amazing. Thanks :)

[...] Favorite Nom: Okay Seriously.  Anyone that has known me for more than half a second can attest to my very deep love of Puppy Chow and Red Velvet Cupcakes.  THIS?  I can’t even deal.  What an adorable Valentines Day treat!   This could even be an easy treat for little ones to take to school and share! [...]

Amy says:

How much does this make?

Megan says:

These turned out awesome!! Thx 4 the puppy chow recipes!!! What recepie would u recomend an eleven year old girl who’s made everything???

[...] Adapted from Your Cup of Cake [...]

[...] treat: Red Velvet Puppy Chow. Looks perfectly sweet and poppable, and what a fun treat for Valentine’s [...]

Jenni says:

I am making this for my boyfriend for Valentine’s Day, but I made some to try out at home first. It is great and my whole family liked it! I did notice that the cereal wasn’t quite as crunchy, but I don’t think I would have had I not seen the previous comments. Thanks for this recipe :)

Carla Allen says:

Just made the Red Velvet Puppy Chow to take to my daughter’s classroom teachers tomorrow for Valentine’s Day! Yummy and oh so cute!! Thanks!

Leah says:

I am planning on making these tonight and taking them to school tomorrow for class. After I make them, I am planning to keep them in the fridge over-night and then take them to school in the morning. The chow will not be able to be refrigerated at all tomorrow during the day, is that going to have any effect on the color, texture, and taste? Im nervous about the cream cheese and milk if its going to be left out for a while. Any suggestions?

You can leave out the milk and cream cheese entirely if you want, I did that my second time making it and they were fine. But don’t worry if they can’t be refrigerated. They won’t go bad in that short of time

Stephanie says:

For those who worry about the “puppy chow” name (also a trademark, I think, but for a very different product, of course!), I have also heard the mixes called “people chow.” This one looks not just yummy, but oh-so-cute!

MamaM says:

Penguin poo is another name for the same yummy snack! It has the added benefit of people looking like you’re nuts when you say you are eating penguin poo!!

keely says:

I will say, though, that there was no red velvet cake mix at the store so we tried strawberry! It was fantastic.
    Also, when we’re trying to avoid cake mixes, we sometimes just use powdered sugar and some pink or red sugar sprinkles for the coating and it seems to work out great as well.
    Thanks for the recipe!

Lyndsay says:

I made this tonight and it turned out great! My boyfriend is going to love it.

Katy says:

Since it has a little bit of cream cheese in it does it need to be refrigerated?

Shelly says:

I just made this with my 2 year old daughter’s help. So delicious and very festive for Valentine’s Day!

Keri says:

I made packets of these for a Valentine’s bake sale at work and they went over very well. I found a red velvet cupcake mix at Target that included a powdered cream cheese frosting package- I used some of the cream cheese powder in the dry mix and folded some into the melted ingredients and it turned out very well. I felt like using powdered cream cheese instead of real cream cheese eliminated the need to refrigerate the puppy chow.

Sarah says:

I always thought the red color came from a reaction from the cocoa and vinegar mixing. I’ve never added red color to my red velvet cakes, and they turn out fine

Alison Holden says:

So would the recipe be changed dramatically if I omit the cream cheese and milk? Will it still taste the same?

Merissa says:

Honey,

I read u can’t take red velvet because of the red food colouring.. Have u tried a natural red food colouring? Those made of cochineal? Or maybe leave out the food colouring all together? As a red velvet fan, it hurts me to know someone who love red velvet is allergic..

angie says:

what brand of “white chocolate melts or chips and of the chocolate melts or chips” is good?? I have no idea where to even look at the grocery store for this. I am just terrible at choosing what chocolate is good for what. I only buy chocolate at Christmas time when it’s at the front and I see it.

I’m just not the baker but live in Fl and going home to Ohio to see our son get married, my youngest just loves red velvet cake when I make it and the chex mix cookies and cream, I would love to make these and good to take home to him.

Chocolate help please!! Thank you

And you site looks wonderful, happy I stumbled upon it

Wilton makes a good brand of melts. I just use the ones I find in bargain bins. They are chocolate pieces that look like little “disks,” that’s usually how melts looks.

Carmen April says:

Red Velvet Puppy Chow…Fabulous idea!

–Carmen April, Creator/Blogger of Dinner With Nerds (www.DinnerWithNerds)

Lucille says:

Just a suggestion for those who cannot tolerate red dye. Use a white cake mix and subsitute the milk for beet juice from canned beets, then use only the white mms.

Pat says:

If you have trouble saying “puppy chow” – just call it “people chow”. Drop the nasty remarks & enjoy the yummy. Be grateful & happy

Tabitha says:

Have you ever tried all natural plant based dyes? Whole foods sells them.

Todd says:

You do realize that real Red Velvet cake does not have red food coloring in it? The chemical reaction between the chocolate (not Dutch chocolate but real cocoa) and the vinegar and buttermilk (acids) causes the red coloring. If you add red food coloring to get your red color than you are not making real red velvet cake.

Chelsea Hartman says:

I’ve never heard of anyone else being allergic to red due! M dad, brother and I all have really bad relationships with red food. :p These look delicious, I wish I could have them!

terri seibech says:

OMG…I cannot believe some have never heard of Puppy Chow recipes because they have been around for at least 20 yrs.. But the real unbelievable thing here is, that someone thinks THIS puppy chow can be mistaken for DOG FOOD. Jeeeezus. Help them!

Also, REAL made-by-scratch Red Devil Cake recipes DO call for red food coloring along with the cocoa. Most recipes for a 9 x 13 pan or 2 layer cake made with 2 rounds of 8 or 9 inches, calls for 1 oz., or one bottle red food coloring.

Paige says:

Try it with lemon cake mix instead, and use white chocolate chips, so yummy!

R Smith says:

I have a niece and nephew who are allergic to artificial food coloring and my mother is allergic to artificial flavors so I spend a lot of my grocery buying time reading labels :) I found a red velvet cake mix at World Market which is uses natural color and flavor. Plus it was amazing.

Is there by chance a vegan version of this? I’m allergic to dairy.

The cream cheese is there to activate the “red” from the cake mix. It needs a liquid… so if you can find something else that won’t make the chocolate seize up that’s dairy free then it should work!

Nicole says:

I’m sure you could use another cake mix and find a natural red coloring agent instead of the chemical dyes you are allergic to. And then omit the red candies.

Nicole says:

I’m sure u could use a vegan cream cheese and then soy, almond or rice milk

kenz says:

When i was little my mom use to say “you wanna help me make muddy buddies” so i went outsibe and square blocks of mud and called them my buddies she laughed alot to i loved seeing her laugh.

Yay! I’m not the only one who makes food I’m allergic too. Friends and family think it’s strange that I use ingredients that I can’t eat — but I have loved ones who can. :)

Kathie says:

Do you know where I can get those cute little heart sprinkles? I have looked at a few stores now and can’t find anything like them.

Kate says:

I want to mail this to my boyfriend who lives in another state so I don’t want to add the milk and cream cheese. Has anyone used this recipe without the milk/cream cheese? Does it taste the same?

HEMIMOM says:

I’m allergic to the red good coloring too. My grandmother always made me a homemade red velvet cake; then I’d break out in hives and have asthma.

Jenny says:

This looks delish….how much does it make? Also where did you get your super cute heart sprinkles?!

Jessi's Dog Sprinkles says:

“Woof, don’t listen to Jessi, I loved these. I took some off the counter. Only thing that would make these better would be Beggin Strips, woof! Take long nap now.” – Sprinkles

Kate says:

Sorry if this question has already been asked, however do you mix the white and the chocolate melts together or do you keep them in seperate bowls? Also, do you use the chocolate just for flavor? I know that seems like a silly question, but I worry about the white turning too muddy if I use the chocolate, so I’m thinking about skipping it.

Thanks!!

You can melt them together! Honestly, you can use all white if you want, I used a little chocolate because red velvet cake has a little cocoa in it, so I was trying to get the right flavor going, but it won’t make much of a difference without it!

xbl codes says:

What i don’t realize is in fact how you are
    no longer really much more neatly-appreciated than you
    might be right now. You’re so intelligent. You already know
    therefore considerably in relation to this matter, produced
    me personally believe it from numerous varied angles.

Its like women and men don’t seem to be fascinated unless it’s something
    to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs excellent.
    All the time handle it up!