Peanut Butter Brownie Puppy Chow

Peanut Butter Brownie Puppy Chow

The best part about my mother making brownies when I was a kid? I got to lick the spoon and bowl.

But I always hated it when she’d use a spatula to scrape the bowl clean leaving almost nothing for me.  I would just sat there with puppy dog eyes looking like someone had stolen all my christmas presents.   I watched her pour every last drop into the pan and give me a nearly clean white bowl with no gooey goodness left.

But remember, I was a rather chunky child.  So sometimes when my parents were gone, I would mix up an entire bowl of brownie mix. I never bothered to preheat the oven though, because I ate the whole thing with a spoon.  A good idea in theory but not in practice.  The stomach ache made me pay for my gluttony.

[end-story]

Peanut Butter Brownie Puppy Chow

6 C. rice Chex cereal
1 C. milk chocolate melts or chips
1/2 C. peanut butter, creamy
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 C. brownie mix, from the box
Optional: Peanut Butter Brownies, Reese's Pieces, or Peanut butter cups (chopped)

1. Place cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a microwave proof bowl, melt chocolate, peanut butter and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.
3. Pour over cereal and fold until covered.
4. Dump into a large plastic bag and add brownie mix, seal and shake until coated. (If you don't have a large plastic bag, pour brownie mix over cereal and stir well. Or you can use a pot with a lid to shake it in.)
5. Dump onto a cookie sheet and toss with pieces of brownie or peanut butter brownies (or even Reeses Pieces or peanut butter cups would be great!). But TRUST me, you will be addicted to this puppy chow, so beware.

Other Puppy Chow Recipes:

Cookies & Cream (Oreo):

Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies

Red Velvet:

Red Velvet Puppy Chow

Chocolate Hazelnut:

Chocolate Hazelnut Puppy Chow

Thin Mint:

Thin Mint Puppy Chow Recipe

45 thoughts on “Peanut Butter Brownie Puppy Chow

Judy says:

OMG!!! Sounds heavenly. I am SO making this today! TFS!

JanB.an B. says:

#5 “toss w/pieces of…”?? do I need to bake extra brownies to toss with???? ….or do you eat without extra brownie pieces? THANKS this is a first for me…not understanding a recipe ingredients…no mention of brownies….

Sorry! You can toss the chow with brownie pieces or any other candy like M&M’s or something. But honestly, these are AMAZING without anything extra. Using brownie mix instead of powdered sugar for this puppy chow is the best thing ever.

• Melissa Butler says:

HI,I was wondering if you would need to add any extra chocolate chips if the peanut butter was left out? My daughter is allergic to peanuts and she never gets to enjoy these kinds of things,so I would love to make this for her!

• No, you don’t need to add anything extra. Though I would suggest to use chocolate MELTS instead of chocolate chips because the chips have extra stabilizers while melts are pure chocolate. It will keep it softer (which is what the pb usually does). My brother is allergic to peanuts, so I know how that allergy goes…

Joy says:

Not sure if it’s just me, but for some reason I only see the oreo rice krispy treat recipe instead of the yummy sounding puppy chow one??

Tiffany says:

One question u normally mix the brownies with egg , do u minus the egg in the brownie mixture? Luv puppy chow but this one sounds amazing.

Tieghan says:

Oh I love this!!! Such a good idea!

Kristen says:

So is this the one that is to die for????

Oh goodness this puppy chow sounds spectacular! LOVE!!

This is genius. In fact, I can’t believe I haven’t seen this before! Now I can have my brownies crunchy AND chocolaty AND without an oven! I can’t even fathom how wonderful this tastes – to the kitchen I go to find out!

Patience E. says:

Sounds delicious! How many servings does this make?

marilyn says:

Hello from Iowa 🙂 In the picture it looks like the puppy chow is made with peanut butter brownies ?! What other ingred. did you use 🙂 Thanxs …… marilyn 🙂

I did make some peanut butter brownies and crumbled them into the chow. Just make brownies from the box and swirl in 2/3 C. peanut butter with an egg mixed in.

• Lisa says:

When you say “swirl in 2/3 C PB with an egg mixed in,” is that an extra egg other than what the mix already calls for? Does the PB replace the vegetable oil? Trying to make this with the PB brownies for camping next week!! Thanks!! 🙂

• Make the brownies as called for the the box and dump into your greased pan. Then in a small bowl combine 1 egg, 2/3 C. peanut butter, and 1-2 Tablespoons sugar and pour it over the brownie batter and then use a knife to swirl in!

Sabrina says:

Am I freezing this or baking this? Never made puppy chow.

kresta says:

I made a double batch yesterday and the 20 teenage girls that scarfed it down in less than 2.5 minutes thank you for its awesomness

tiffany says:

I I just made this last night for our family movie night and my kids Loved it!
    I added Brownie chunks, M&M’s and Reese’s pieces. They love calling it puppy chow too. Thank you for sharing!

Alex says:

I’m totally making thos for my boyfriend tomorrow!

Chris says:

Oh my. I just made a big batch of this for my teens to take to a party tonight. All I can say is that I’m very happy that (most of) it is leaving my house! Super easy and yummy. Thanks!

Megan says:

Is there any reason I couldn’t/shouldn’t use a homemade brownie mix for this? I *try* to avoid the box mixes as much as I can 🙂

Yes! You can also just use a combination of powdered sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder. I just love using the brownie mix because it’s chocolatey and not just straight powdered sugar.

Claudia says:

Any ideas on what could I do with the leftover brownie mix? (Aside from making this again!)

Brittany says:

Thoughts on using boxed chocolate cake mix instead of brownie mix?

Christina says:

If I seal this good how long do you think this will last

It’s really just chocolate chips and peanut butter, so it will have a long shelf life! I would use it within a week just to make sure it still tastes really fresh though. But it would last longer!

Callie says:

I didn’t think it was possible for my life to get any better, until I made this. It was so freakin’ delicious! Oh My Gosh, it’s great! And I seriously need to make it again!

Great recipe!

Diane says:

this recipe is missing butter. You need butter when melting the chocolate and the peanut butter.

Jenna says:

I made this recipe for Christmas this year and put jars of it in gift baskets. It was a big hit. Thank you so much! I love that you have so many puppy chow recipes. I’ll definitely being trying more of them out. Love your blog. Have a happy new years eve! 🙂

Annie says:

I tried making this, you forgot to list butter… it is a key ingredient. Without it the peanutbutter chocolate mixture does not turn liquid and insead burns in a foam like substance. Dont forget the butter!

Amy says:

Do you bake the brownies first and then chunk them or you just put brownie mix in the chow? because the picture looks like it’s baked chunks of brownie