Chocolate Pudding Mix Frosting

Chocolate Pudding Frosting

The Story: Continued from my last post

I saw him the next day.  I was on campus (shamefully walking around hoping I’d run into his pretty eyes) and I spotted him across the square.  It looked like he graciously excused himself from his company and started in my direction.  I just stood there making him walk the whole way.  I figured I’d done enough the night before, it was his turn to take the reins.

I got a taste of my own medicine, because he didn’t say anything, he just pulled me in and kissed me back.  I think I remember hearing some hoots and hollers from students passing by but I didn’t care who was watching.  For that moment, he was mine.

I’m totally kidding, none of that happened.

After I drove away the night before he didn’t text or call me.  He wrote a snarky comment on my facebook wall a few days after but that was it.  I saw him a week later and he sat next to me in our meeting just like he always does and acted like nothing had ever happened.

Boys these days. [end-story]

Chocolate Pudding Mix Frosting

Chocolate Pudding Mix Frosting

1 small pkg. chocolate instant pudding (3.4 oz. box)
2 C. heavy whipping cream, cold

1. Using a Kitchen Aid mixer with the whisk attachment (or any whisking contraption) pour pudding mix and heavy whipping cream into the bowl and whisk for 2-3 minutes or until stiff.
3. Place in refrigerator to chill if you won't be using for a few hours or just keep on the counter top.
Notes:
-refrigerating will cause the frosting to get extra thick, so if you plan on piping the frosting out, your hand will get a work out.
-you can do this with ANY instant pudding mix, just replace the milk called for on the box with heavy whipping cream and whip!
-you will become obsessed with this incredibly easy and delicious topping :)

Chocolate Cake Recipe

Pudding Mix Frosting

Chocolate Pudding Mix Frosting

Pudding Mix Frosting recipe

39 thoughts on “Chocolate Pudding Mix Frosting

Vanessa says:

I was all into your romantic story and then you had me laughing..LOL!

Betsy says:

Lizzy,
    I was on pins and needles reading your story!!…until I got to the bottom.
    Silly boy, he doesn’t deserve you anyway! I look forward to your stories
    and recipes every week! :-)

Zack says:

I read that story with quite anticipation as well. What do you do if you don’t know what to do though…?

Melanie says:

Love your posts! Yes, sometimes boys just need a push! As a mother to 3 of them – most times they just don’t get it! :)

Jessica says:

What a butt…

Patty says:

I was so into the story and theyn poof!! Oh Boys will be Boys!! ♥

dianna says:

Foolish Man!!!

Teresa says:

Lizzy, have you tried this with sugar free pudding? Just wondering since the pudding volume is different. Thoughts?

Auntiepatch says:

You don’t need a BOY; you need a MAN. Forget him…………there are plenty more around and you don’t need someone who makes snarky comments on FB and doesn’t talk to your face. He owes you an apology but that will never happen.

Ms. BettySue Baker says:

I agree! You need a man. Look at you! You are a beautiful, successful, brilliant woman who deserves a man who knows exactly what he wants (being you) and not a boy who becomes socially awkward in your presence. You hang in there, Lizzy! I know it’s hard not to love some of those boys, but wait it out for a man you can love who loves you back! :) If he’s got any brains at all, he will know you’ll at least always keep his belly full with yummy treats! :)

Sherry W says:

According to the Jello website, if you purchase your instant pudding mix in the US, this product is gluten free which is good to know.

Natalie says:

What a delicious combination for making icing. I love sweets that I can make with pantry items and this frosting seems so easy. I can’t wait to try it!

I love to use this as a filling for my cakes–its delicious!

Teresa says:

Your stories are so darn cute!! Love to read them…and excited to try MANY of your recipes :-)

Andi Sanders says:

I agree – you are obviously too good for him! But your recipe sounds great!

Lorraine Lewis says:

Do you know if this works with other pudding flavors, like vanilla?

Erin McC says:

i have to try this, it looks so good. i dont like powdered sugar, so i hate making most frostings! pudding and cream though, cant go wrong =) thanks for the recipe =)
    i wonder, can you do anything with pudding mix and cream cheese? cause in my world, cheese makes everything better.

Zahara says:

Lizzy, I love this chocolate pudding cake, can’t wait to try to make it, thanks Lizzy,

Tiffany says:

Lizzy,

Does this frosting withhold heat pretty well? Is it a sturdy frosting?

Thanks!

Jessica says:

Can you pipe this using the larger tips like the round one?

Yes! I’ve used this frosting with all types of piping tips! If you put the frosting in the fridge, it gets quite thick. So don’t put it in for long depending on what type of tip you want to use!

Samantha Sullivan says:

Lizzy I was dying to try this for the dark chocolate cakes I make often for my husband and 2 boys. Always put some sort of chips in the miix and then use 2 different frostings for the inner and outer parts. So when I saw this I thought great I’m going to make it in butterscotch . Well it only comes in “sugarfree” in the instant. I don’t know what I did wrong but the mix didn’t seem to break down right. It was grainy and didn’t seem as light and fluffy like your other recipes calling for heavy cream do. I’m thinking maybe its the “sugar free” aspect that was the culprit. Just the weight between the regular and sugar free is substantial. Any suggestions? The ladies are right, he’s just a boy and doesn’t desrve you! I love all of your recipes and look forward to see what you’ll come up with next.

I haven’t tried it with any of the sugar free kinds. But I don’t know why it wouldn’t work. Make sure you use the whisk attachment of your mixer! It will be thicker than a whipped cream but still easy to pipe (If you put it in the fridge it will get MUCh thicker and more difficult to pipe. You’ll need strong hands if you plan on doing that!)

• Samantha Sullivan says:

I did use the whisk attachment. And it was very thick,. It was just grainy, l could see bits of butterscotch. Oh well it didn’t seem to. Bother the guys. They ate every morsel. Lol

Darlene Guzman says:

I tried this and it was so delicious! I used a plain round tip for piping so I can’t wait to use my other Ateco jumbo tips! Hopefully it holds well! Thank you for sharing. It is my go to frosting recipe :)

Amenah says:

I reAlly want to make this frosting but cAn i mix the pudding mix with cool whip instead of heavy cream?

Magy says:

I love your website! I make cake box taste so much better.
    I wonder If 1 box of pudding is enough to frost two 9″ cake?
    My next attempt is your red velvet cupcake :)

I would only use it for the in-between the layer of the cake, you’ll probably want something more sturdy for the outside! And you can add 3 Cup of heavy whipping cream to a get a smoother (and more) frosting!

Galen says:

Do you think this will work with jello? I’m making cherry chip cupcakes and I would love this easy of a frosting for the cupcakes… Let me know your thoughts! Thanks

I don’t think it will be quite as easy with jello because in the end jello and pudding have very different consistencies. So What I would do it make it with white chocolate or vanilla pudding, then add a little jello at a time to get the right amount of cherry flavoring! I would also use an extra cup of whipping cream!!