Halloween Puppy Chow…take 2

Halloween Puppy Chow

Halloween is the start of the “holiday weight.”  Trick of Treat?  It tricks us with the treats! Don’t blame food bloggers or binge eating on Thanksgiving because I post desserts all year long and you want to talk about binge eating?  What do you do during the Super Bowl for 5 hours?

But don’t worry, I found the culprit.  I found what’s to blame for the extra pounds.

Candy Corn.

Does anyone actually like it?  No.  But do we all buy it and eat it?  Yes.  Because it’s tradition!  Halloween just gets our stomachs full of gross, store-bought candy so that when the good food comes along in November and December we can’t help but to eat it!  Our stomachs deserve the good food after stuffing it full of all the Halloween Candy.

—–

Does this recipe look familiar? Okay, you caught me.  Halloween Puppy Chow was my first puppy chow recipe a year ago!  But it was so popular I thought I would do it again, but this time make it so much easier!  To get the two colors last year, I made two batches, one with white chocolate and one with regular chocolate.  But this year, just make one big batch and toss them in different things–powdered sugar and brownie mix.  That way, you only have to clean ONE bowl.  [end-story]

Halloween Puppy Chow…take 2

Halloween Puppy Chow…take 2

8 C. rice cereal squares (Chex)
1 1/2 C. chocolate chips or Melts
1/2 C. peanut butter, creamy (You can omit this, see Note below)
3/4 C. powdered sugar
3/4 C. brownie mix
2 large plastic bags
2 1/2 C. Reese's Pieces, optional
2 1/2 C. Candy Corn, optional

1. Place Chex cereal in a large bowl and put your powdered sugar in one large plastic bag and your brownie mix in another. (It helps to have everything ready to go.)
2. Put your chocolate chips/melts and peanut butter in a microwave proof bowl and heat for 30-50 seconds and stir until smooth.
3. Pour over Chex cereal and gently fold until coated in chocolatey goodness.
4. Put half of your chocolatey cereal in one plastic bag (with the powdered sugar) and then other half in your other bag (with the brownie mix).
5. Seal each bag and shake until covered.
6. Dump onto a cookie sheet to cool.
7. Serve with Reese's Pieces and Candy Corn for color!
NOTE: For peanut allergies, omit peanut butter and use MELTS for your chocolate, these will melt down more easily than chocolate chips, and increase the amount to 2 cups.

Put your cereal in a big bowl!

Muddy Buddies

Get your bags ready…

Puppy chow with powdered sugar and brownie mix

My melts and peanut butter

Chocolate and peanut butter melt

Gently fold…

Making Muddy Buddies

Lookin’ good!

Making Puppy Chow

“White” Chow

shaking muddy buddies

Shake, shake, shake!

Shaking Puppy Chow

Oh yes.

Muddy Buddies how to

Ready for the “brown” chow that will change your life? (Brownie mix is SO good.)

how to make puppy chow

Shake, shake, shake!

how to make muddy buddies

Sample time?  I think so.

photos for muddy buddies

2 colors from one batch…lovely!

Halloween Chex Mix

My candy of choice.  Bright, Halloween colors from the bargain bins.

Halloween Candy

Done!

Halloween Puppy Chow Recipe

Treat or Treat

Halloween Muddy Buddies

17 thoughts on “Halloween Puppy Chow…take 2

Bailey says:

yummy!!! your puppy chow recipes are so good! i can’t wait for halloween!!

Melissa says:

I am making this for book club tonight!!! Such a fun easy party food! Thanks!

Carmen April says:

I LOOOVE Candy Corns AND Puppy Chow so I must try this Recipe…Thanks!

Carmen April, Creator/Blogger – Dinner With Nerds (www.DinnerWithNerds.com)

This is absolutely perfect for Halloween snacking! love the mix of brown and white coated Chex pieces. So cute!

Nicky G says:

Sounds perf but I’ll stick to my cupcakes

I have the CUTEST Halloween cupcakes coming to the blog next week! Watch for them Nicky!

• linda says:

i made this delicious Puppy Chow this a.m. perfect!!! great to eat or as a gift\. but as you know we all want to add some other idea. i added small pretzels for a sweet/salty taste. since we like peanuts i also added some of those.
        thanks i’ll be making much more of this chow!!!

Christy says:

I think that instead of opening a box of brownie mix, you could just add some cocoa powder to your powdered sugar maybe?

Anika says:

Thats what I was thinking! I’m gonna try this recepie to ignt buti think I’ll stick with the brownie mix

Anika says:

Just made it it looks amazing and tastes amazing

Erica says:

What kind of peanut butter and brownie mix do you use? I’m looking forward to making this!!

Kit says:

I went to the store yesterday to get the ingredients I didn’t have for the original version but thought I would add candy corns. I got on your website today and saw version 2 so decided to check it out. great ideas and it had the candy corn in it!! Thanks!!

Lora says:

Hi! I just made this for my daughter’s 4th birthday party and it was a huge success – but I made a few modifications (for an allergy-free version):
    - smarties (not reeses)
    - chopped caramels (not candy corn)
    - white chocolate chips & solid crisco (no PB) (for the coating)

My youngest daughter is allergic to peanuts, treenuts, sesame, and raw egg, so I had to change it up a bit – but it was awesome! I couldn’t find candy corn that was nut-free, and of course I couldn’t use reeses…

Everyone wanted the recipe and I sent them to your site!