Chocolate cupcakes topped with caramel frosting, toasted coconut and chocolate ganache. These Samoa Cupcakes will make you fall in love all over again.
My favorite part of these cupcakes is the coconut topping. I toasted a bunch of coconut and then stirred in some store bought caramel sauce. Yes, you can make your own caramel sauce and it will be even better, but I opted to save some time and use the store bought stuff. But this coconut-caramel stuff was heavenly! It’s so easy too!
How did I pipe these? Well I used a large round top and piped out a circle and then made a sort of “well” with a knife and filled it with the coconut filling! I didn’t want the filling dripping everywhere, it may be luxurious for photos but it makes it hard to eat!
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that these are better than Samoa cookies. I know, I said it. But really, these taste incredible! I was shocked how similar the coconut filling tasted to a samoa but I love that it’s oozy and gooey and fresh!
I also have a giveaway for you all! A few of us bloggers got together and wanted to do something fun for you all, so we’re giving away a Keurig Brewer and $100 PayPal cash! So even if you don’t drink coffee, you still probably like money 🙂
The giveaway starts today at 9 am, so depending on when you’re reading this you may need to wait a few more hours to enter, but if you follow me on social media, you get a few extra entries! You’ll enter below!
This giveaway is hosted & sponsored by:
This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only and you must be 18 years or older to enter. Winner will win $100 PayPal Cash and a Keurig K45 Elite Brewer ($100 value).
Open to U.S. residents only, must be 18 years or older to enter. Giveaway sponsored by the blogs listed above and is no way affiliated with Pinterest, Facebook, or Twitter. You must have a valid email address to enter. Giveaway runs through 3/17/15. A winner will be chosen and emailed within 48 hours. You have 48 hours to respond to said email or a new winner will be chosen. No purchase necessary to enter, void where prohibited. For full rules, see details in the form.
But back to the Samoa Cupcakes…
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C. oil or melted butter
- 1 C. sour cream
- 1/2 C. milk or buttermilk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 C. butter softened
- 2 1/2 -3 1/2 C. powdered sugar
- 3-5 Tbsp. caramel sauce
Coconut Caramel Topping:
- 1 1/2 C. shredded coconut (I used the sweetened)
- 1/2 C. - 1 C. caramel sauce
Chocolate ganache or melted chocolate to drizzle
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, sift cake mix to remove any lumps and continue to add the rest of the cake ingredients. Stir until smooth.
3. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
4. Let cool.
5. Caramel Frosting: Beat butter until smooth. Add 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar and beat again. Slowly add in caramel. Add more powdered sugar to make thicker if needed.
6. Coconut Caramel Topping: Carefully toast coconut in a pan on the stove or in the oven on broil. But be careful because the coconut can easily burn! Pour into a bowl and crush up with your hands or a spoon. Just crush it enough hot there aren't long pieces left. Pour in 1/2 cup of the caramel sauce and stir. Depending on how thick you want the topping, continue to add more caramel.
7. To decorate, pipe a circle of frosting on the top of each cupcake. Use a knife to create a "well" in the frosting and fill it with the coconut topping. Then drizzle with melted chocolate or ganache (chocolate melted with cream).