It may be a little too early for s’mores but you can get your marshmallow chocolate fill with these Rocky Road Cupcakes! This chocolate almond frosting is incredible and will just melt in your mouth! And mini marshmallows are pretty much the cutest things, so I’ll take any excuse to sprinkle them on my cupcakes. And do you know the fun thing about these? A reader (and friend) emailed me telling me she made something like this for a party and they went super fast, so I decided to give them a try 🙂
PS: I got these cute chevron cupcake liners from Sweets & Treats!
The game is called “Chubby Bunny” and you can play with friends or go solo. Because either way, I promise you’ll be laughing. How do you play? You take the jumbo sized marshmallows, and shove as many as you can into your mouth. Count as you go, because if you’re competing against other people it’s better to count as they go in and not as they come out.
Just remember to breathe through your nose 🙂 AND video tape it, because it’s honestly hilarious no matter your age.
Rocky Road Cupcakes
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C. oil or melted butter
- 3/4 C. milk
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 C. mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Almond Frosting:
- 1 C. butter softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract optional
- 1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp. milk or sour cream
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
- 1 C. semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 C. heavy whipping cream
Mini marshmallow and nutes (I used sliced almonds) for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, milk, sour cream and vanilla extract until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix and mini chocolate chips.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Let cool.
7. Chocolate Almond Frosting: Beat butter until smooth. Add vanilla extract, almond extract, cocoa powder and milk and beat again. Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add more milk if it becomes too thick!
8. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.
9. Chocolate Ganache: Combine chocolate chips and cream and heat (on the stove or in the microwave) and stir until smooth.
10. Spoon or pipe (using a small ziplock plastic bag and snipping off the corner) over piped cupcakes.
11. Sprinkle on mini marshmallows and nuts!
You just can’t go wrong with topping any cupcake with melted chocolate and marshmallows…Mmm…