I will admit that I am not a big Pop Tart fan. But if they are sitting there, I will eat them because I will eat just about anything. But I remember them being a staple at family reunions. We would go camping out in the middle of nowhere or along some coast and we would always have some Pop Tarts on stand-by. Well, that and Tang.
Strawberry Pop Tart Cupcakes
- White Cake Mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup freeze dried strawberries finely crushed in food processor
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. SIft cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, gently whisk eggs, egg whites, oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract together.
4. Add cake mix and stir until smooth.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Glaze: Combine all ingredients and use a fork to whisk until smooth. Use more powdered sugar to make thicker or more water to make thinner.
7. Dip the top of cooled cupcakes into glaze and let set.
8 Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract and freeze dried strawberries. Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
9. Pipe buttercream over glaze (once firm) and top with a piece of Pop Tart. Ta-dah!
Note: I got my freeze dried strawberries from Trader Joe’s, they were amazing!