Snickerdoodle Cupcakes

I needed to make a thank you treat this morning.  When I asked the friend what kind of baked goods she liked, she said snickerdoodles, oatmeal raisin cookies, Funfetti cake, and chocolate cake.  I didn’t have any raisins on hand and I knew that her mother makes fabulous snickerdoodle cookies, so there would be no point in trying to compare to those.
            So instead of failing in comparison, I just tried to take a different approach.
         Recipe from Michelle at GroupRecipes.com
Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
Cakes:
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup melted butter, cooled
1 ¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon almond extract
¾ cup whole milk*
¼ cup cinnamon sugar
Cinnamon Vanilla Buttercream:
1 stick butter softened
3 cups powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tablespoons milk

1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.    Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3.    In a separate bowl, beat sugar and cooled butter until light and fluffy.  Then add eggs, vanilla, almond extract and milk. Mix until well blended.
4.    Combine dry and wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
5.    Spoon into cupcake liners and bake for 18-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6.   When the cupcakes come out of the oven, brush the tops with butter and then roll them in cinnamon sugar.
7.    Buttercream:  Beat butter until light and fluffy.  Add 2-3 cups powdered sugar (taste along the way) and beat for 4-5 minutes.  Add vanilla and cinnamon.  Add milk to loosen.
8.   Top cupcakes with buttercream when cooled.
*I didn’t have whole milk, so I just used ¾ cup 1% and melted a little extra butter.

48 thoughts on “Snickerdoodle Cupcakes

Abby says:

I love snickerdoodles! These look great, I can't wait to try the frosting!

Cindy Jensen says:

Lizzy, these look amazing. I want one right now. I am going to try and make these soon. Love your blog by the way.

jasonandjodie says:

I just made these today with my 2 1/2 year old and they were definitely a winner! She rated them "A lot yummy!". We tried these first because we had everything on hand. Now I guess we'll just have to try all of your recipes:)

Fadila says:

I tried this one yesterday, but I accidentally pour in 1 teaspoon instead of just 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract making the cakes taste like children's antibiotic. I was so disappointed because everything else was perfect. The texture was soft and moist and the buttercream was yummy. I'm gonna try again soon and this time I'm going to be very careful with the almond extract. Wish me luck!

Kelsi Harris says:

okay, so i definitly am about to try these babies out. and i, and my family, would like to thank you for your great recipes. i have tried your nutella cupcakes, oreo blizzard cupcakes, mexican hot chocolate cupcakes, s'more's cupcakes, etc! i also took your nutella cupcake recipe and tried duing a peanut butter frosting instead, and i kept the nutella filling. it was so good. my family appreciates me a lot more now. haha :) i'm always trying another one of your recipes. it's great. your cupcakes are the best. i refuse to use any other recipe. and i love how you put your own twist on things.
    i just started a blog, you should follow me! it's:
    i will probably mention your cupcakes!
    thanks:)
    -kelsi

I LOVE making these! However, I've found that if you put a layer of cinnamon sugar on top of the cupcake batter before they bake, you end up with a cookie like crust on top. SO GOOD!

do you make your own cinnamon sugar, or do you buy it already made?

Lizzy Mae says:

I just mix up my own

what proportions do you use?

Melinda says:

Just made these and my husband loved them! Only problem was that they stuck to the paper due to the brushed on butter and cinnamon. Otherwise scrumdidlyumptious!!!

Can the almond extract be omitted?I'm very allergic but I still want to make these!!

Lizzy Mae says:

Yes, you can omit the almond extract!

How many will a batch of this make?

Lizzy Mae says:

It makes about 15 cupcakes, depending on the size.

What ratios do you use for the cinnamon sugar?

Lizzy Mae says:

I don't really know, I just doo it by look. But I would say its about 3:1 sugar: cinnamon maybe 4:1

bebe says:

These look fantastic! Can't wait to try this :)

KyliesMom says:

I'm so excited to be trying to make these today. I want to make these for my daughter's 2nd birthday party. So I'm quite excited. I'm just debating on taking the almond extract out or not. Not sure if she can have that yet.

Lizzy Mae says:

Just leave it out if you are worried.

Joelle says:

Wow! I found these on Pinterest and had to try them. They are phenomenal. I cheated a little on the frosting because I had half a tub of vanilla frosting in my fridge so I just tossed a little cinnamon sugar into that and voila! Absolutely wonderful!

Mary says:

Made these for work…BIG hit. Will be making them again

Karie says:

I’ve been living in Australia for 13 years now and none of my friends have ever heard of Snickerdoodles. Had my friends over for afternoon tea today and they loved them. Thanks for a great recipe.

A says:

I just made these cupcakes. They turned out great! I was nervous when it said to use melted butter, I’ve never made a cupcake that used that before. But it really turned out amazing! I overfilled the liners so they weren’t exactly pretty but now I know better. OH and I made a cinnamon cream cheese frosting, because as far as my family is concerned cream cheese frosting goes with basically anything LOL

Ana says:

I have these babies in the oven now, and they smell snickerdoodleicious!

Megan says:

I saw your recipe on Pinterest and thought this would be great for my brother in law’s birthday. He loves snickerdoodles! But he isnt a fan of cupcakes really. So I thought maybe I could just a regular round cake. What would you guess the timing for that to be?

Two round cakes? Probably about 22 minutes or so. It really depends on the oven, just stick a shark knife or a toothpick in the center to check. It should come out without any dough on it, if there’s just a few crumbs thats fine.

Amanda says:

Do you think I could use a white or yellow cake mix and add the vanilla, almond and cinnamon sugar to make this recipe easier?

Angela says:

You probably could, but honestly- mixing the ingredients together isn’t THAT difficult. I personally would follow the recipe as closely as possible. Don’t be lazy.

Yes yes you can make this into a cake mix recipe. I am all for being lazy and using up the stack of cake mixes piled up in the pantry!

Megan says:

Looks good! I especially like the frosting – I just tried a cinnamon cream cheese frosting for Mexican hot chocolate cupcakes (http://flourandhops.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/mexican-hot-chocolate-cupcakes/) and wasn’t thrilled with it. I’m going to try your frosting instead!

Candace says:

Have made these twice and they have come out great. Got lots of compliments on them. I used 1% milk where the recipe says buttermilk and it was just fine.

Nikki says:

I saw these on Pinterest and had to try them… it was a good choice – they were a hit!! DELICIOUS!!

kelly says:

My son requested “cinnamon cupcakes ” for his fourth birthday. This was perfect!!! Thank you! They were delicious!!

Sarah says:

Hiw many cupcakes does this make?

Lauren says:

I just reviewed this recipe on my blog at lifeoutofthenest.wordpress.com! So delicious!!

Home Garden says:

What’s up, after reading this awesome piece of writing i
    am also cheerful to share my familiarity here with friends.

Other conventional stores have similar policies; you should
    be able to find out specific details when placing your order online.
    Over the past few years, tremendous popularity and usability has been witnessed in the trend for online shopping, achieving
    immense importance due to utmost expediency, comfort and affordability.
    Commercial website hosts include Yahoo and Go – Daddy.

Mittie says:

In West and particular Northern parts of India, the festival of Diwali marks the begin of a new Hindu year.

The marking of the passage of time in China has for millennia been closely linked to the cyclical pattern of agricultural
    production.

Hiya very nice site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Amazing ..
    I’ll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally?
    I am glad to search out so many helpful information right here in the publish, we need work out more strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing.
    . . . . .

Is there a save which is additional easy than Walmart.
    He read the script to his son and he took the
    jobon his son’s approval of the story. he ignores everyone
    else, relaxes for a short while, maybe has something to eat, and only interacts with them when he.

Thanks , I’ve just been looking for information approximately this
    subject for a long time and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered so far.
    However, what concerning the bottom line? Are you positive about the supply?