I live in a college town where “Dessert Parties” are the activity of choice on a Sunday night. It’s a chance for the ladies to show off their homemaking skills and for the men to indulge in sweets and to flirt with a flock of single coeds. Does it sound a little…bizarre? We know.
Somehow I was in charge of providing 200 cupcake for Sunday’s gathering, and these cupcakes were gone within the first 20 minutes.[end-story]
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C. oil
- 1 C. buttermilk
- 1/2 C. sour cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
Peanut Butter Frosting:
- 1/2 C. butter
- 1/2 C. peanut butter creamy
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp. milk
Peanuts, Caramel and Snickers to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine all other cake ingredients until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
6. Frosting: Beat butter and peanut butter for 2 minutes. Scrape down bowl as needed. Add vanilla extract and slowly add powdered sugar until your frosting becomes thick. Add 1 Tbsp of milk, and beat. If needed, all more milk to keep the frosting light and fluffy rather than stiff like cookie dough.
7. Pipe buttercream onto cooled cupcakes and top with salted peanuts, caramel and Snickers.